Wednesday, August 1, 2012

We're Back

We are back at Mayo. I assume you can call us regulars by now. We have the same hotel and the employees recognize us by sight and name. We know exactly where to go tomorrow for our appointment. We even have our special restaurants to visit while we are back in town.

I’ve been the typical spouse after a new syndrome has been attached to a loved one. I’m checking out lots on the web and have even ordered some books from Amazon. I’ve even almost completed book one by now.  I’m getting used to the new lingo and am compiling questions for the variety of doctors available here at Mayo.

We’ve informed lots of people and even had a comforting chat with our pastor. It’s amazing how you suddenly find a zillion of people already labeled just like you. People are coming out of the woodwork with directions on what steps to do next and what things to avoid. That’s a whole lot in less than a week.

I was surprised today when I talked with the woman who chaperones Einstein when we travel. I quickly explained the reason for my pooch’s turnaround to her. She got a miniscule amount of time to prepare for our crazy canine. Anyhow, her surprising reaction was that she was going to ask me if Bob had the diagnosis of LBD. You see, her mother had suffered from this same affliction and she had recognized many of the same characteristics. Once you know about this thief that steals much from your loved one, you will be able to quickly recognize it in others. Wow!

I’m even more surprised when people who saw Bob on such a regular basis were aghast at the news. Now, I love my darling hubby with all my heart, but my goodness sakers, he is slower than a tortoise stuck in molasses or a teenager taking out the family garbage. His flat affect reminds me of a tired, geriatric deer caught in the headlights of an approaching Mack truck or my daughter looking at Bob in his white socks and sandals.

So we sit in our hotel room ready for the questioning, poking and prodding to begin another time. We’ll say our prayers tonight grateful for a safe journey and the amazing staff of the Mayo Clinic. Then we’ll add a note of gratitude for all of the prayers being offered this way. Life is very good.

God Uses Our Love to Prove that Life is Good
     -  I love my hubby so much that I recognize many of the hesitations and pauses that are part of LBD. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment