Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dream Time

Yesterday, Bob received an invitation for another command performance up at Mayo for this Thursday. It came as a surprise to us; we had not expected to make this trip for another three months. Mayo wants to start that fight of Lewy Bodies Dementia (LBD) and so the drives begin.

They need both Bob and I for this appointment. At least I finally can feel needed. We will have a consultation first to discuss Bob’s sleeping patterns. Let me see if I can explain this to you. LBD attacks the way people take a snooze. Most people go into deep REM sleep for those super dreams about any hunks in their lives. Bodies become somewhat paralyzed so we don’t act out those dreams. Without that paralysis, our legs would be moving as we dream of chasing those good-looking honeys down the street. People who have LBD might have some of the similar dreams in REM sleep, but their bodies don’t act paralyzed. They act out those dreams. That means that if Bob were chasing some blonde in his dreams, his legs would be kicking me. (And I would be kicking him right back!) He would not awaken to an unfriendly wife, for the dream would continue and continue and continue turning more and more unhappy. The dreams always turn scary. Yet Bob would still keep dreaming, unable to wake from his horrors.

Mayo believes that if Bob’s sleep patterns can be altered, he will be able to get better rest. I need to report what I see each night as Bob attempts to rest. Once people with LBD  sleep better, they can think better, feel better and do better. Mayo wants to get that going. It will be a way to extend this earlier stage of LBD.

So we go for a consultation and then probably have a full sleep study on Bob for that evening. We are going to drive part of the way tomorrow and finish up on Thursday if needed. It is still very hard for me to travel for a long period in the car. I also can’t use my stimulator while driving. Plus, too many painkillers are probably not advised for the driver.

So our journey begins tomorrow. This trip will be repeated many times in the coming years. Bob and I will fight this goofy LBD. Our love will get us through.

God Uses Our Love to Prove that Life is Good
      -  Bob and I will fight this fight together. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment