Friday, August 17, 2012

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

We just got back from a late night baseball game of our hometown team. The players don’t have six or seven digit salaries and instead play ball because they love the game. They live with various families in the community.  You can almost feel the power of their dreams of the big leagues dancing in their heads. There are lots of fun activities between the innings to keep even the smallest fans engaged. The food is a ‘plenty with a wide range of scrumptious delights.

The weather couldn’t have been better. It almost felt like an early fall football game as a light jacket was needed, quite unusual after our extremely warm summer temperatures. It looked funny seeing green grass on the field since all local yards are sporting a basic brown hue caused by nonexistent rainfall.

Afterwards there were even a plethora of fireworks with tons of ooohs and aaaahs from the crowd. The show exceeded many of those just a month ago that were honoring our nation’s birth. A gentle breeze pushed the smoke out of the way in order for the best viewing possible. I love to see the fireworks light up the sky and sparkle to the delight of the crowd.

Mary and Roger, good friends of ours from church, got us the tickets. We have known this delightful couple for probably twenty years or so. Mary is a fellow Stephen leader with me, and Roger has long been a “bud” of Bob’s. They have seen us through a long list of maladies as well as an equally lengthy file of happy events. They are always available and ready to take a seat offstage or be right in the front and center. I feel they represent a perfect example of a strong Christian family.

Unfortunately, also joining us were some of Bob’s hallucinations. He is now unfortunately quite good at hiding them from others and can even let episodes of being dazed gently slide by others. It breaks my heart to see him suffer in silence. He has taken a hold of LBD determined to not let it slow him down. He is walking faster than I have seen in years. He also is trying to stay awake to keep making marvelous memories.

We’re blessed to have friends by our sides that accept Bob how he was, is now, and will be as calendar pages flip by. Mary and Roger have let us be who we are without worrying about any pretense. They’ll accept Bob and I in whatever comes our way and help soothe those bumps while celebrating the highs. They are helping create experiences that will long stay in my heart.

My plea is for others to please join us as we make the very most possible of the coming months and years.  I will need you to join me as I can tell the world how very blessed I am to have Bob as my husband. I want Bob and I to still leave our home and experience all the world has to offer. I want friends to help me create special moments where Bob can relax and be himself. I want others to show this nasty LBD that it can invade my husband’s body but it can’t take hold of our lives. I want to be able to look up to God each night as I close my eyes in prayer and thank Him for giving me the best husband possible. Thanks God for showing my friends and me that life is so very good.

God Uses Our Love to Prove that Life is Good
       - I can ignore our off key voices as we belt out our own rendition of Take Me Out to the Ballgame. May we continue to have friends who take us out to explore all God has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment