Thursday, August 23, 2012

My Best Friend


I love my husband. It is as simple as that. We’ve been married 23 years now and I can still say that I am married to my best friend. He knows my dreams and fears, sorrows and delights, good days and bad. I thank God daily for bringing this man into my life.

I even came with extra “baggage.” I was divorced and had the cutest, smartest little three-year old in the world. Bob ended up being Stephanie’s own Prince Charming. They also had love at first sight. He couldn’t have been (and continues to be) the best (step) dad in the world. She and Poppy are quite a pair.

That’s why this diagnosis is so hard on all of us – all three of us. We are family! We are a unit. To see that man I adore and know he will silently start slipping away without anything I can do is heart wrenching. To know that his diagnosis means he will one day turn to me without knowing me cuts me to the quick. That’s the part I can’t bear to imagine – so I don’t. We now at least daily look into each other’s eyes and say, “I love you Janet” or “I love you Bob.” It’s a wonderful habit that I wish we would have done sooner. Doctors have encouraged me to become well acquainted with our future so I’ve read a variety of books, listened to CD’s and watched DVD’s. I’ll do all I can to have us beat this horrid LBD for as long as I can.

There’s one, well there are many, but there’s one thing that I absolutely can’t understand. Lewy Bodies Dementia is named after Dr. Lewy who first located the protein that demolishes unsuspecting brain cells. So, they named it after him. Now don’t get me wrong, this person deserves certain recognition but is naming a horrid syndrome after a brilliant scientist a good idea. Name an ice cream flavor after him or a special Subway sandwich.

It hurts that certain friends and family have ignored our pleas for companionship. Many people have rushed to our sides and will continue to do so as the months get harder. Yet others are offering help while dashing in the opposite direction shielding their hearts from LBD, not daring to be close so it doesn’t rub off on them. Things are still easy now. Please give us a call or drop us a line if you have the opportunity. Stockpile all the good wishes into Bob’s brain so they can stand guard against LBD as it silently sneaks its way through my darling’s brain.

Give us a call. We promise to give you a laugh or two because my best friend and I believe that life is oh so good.

God Uses Our Love to Prove that Life is Good
       Laughter fills our home on good days and those other ones we try to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment