Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Treetops

I just got back from taking Einstein for a morning walk through the neighborhood. The weather remains cool for another day or two so I want to take full advantage of these temperatures. Einstein still sniffs every fallen leaf, tall weed or anything else that appears under his nose. With his curiosity, walks are not speedy and can even easily fall slower than leisurely parameters.

I took this walk to try to work off at least three of the calories that I have consumed lately. I have determined that I now easily munch all the sugars and carbohydrates to be labeled a stress eater. In the past, such worries had me avoid meals while my stomach rumbled in anger of any situation. That obviously is far from the truth as I chomp away throughout the day blaming Bob’s new diagnosis on my latest food frenzies. We went out to eat last night following a late afternoon doctor appointment. The waiter even giggled at the speed in which I consumed the first loaf of warm bread. (To my benefit however, it was somewhat low calorie since I refrained from the use of any butter.) I lost any hopes at reduced calories when it came to dessert for I wolfed down a huge piece of Hershey chocolate cheesecake almost nipping a few of the waiter’s fingers. (Hey, wait a minute! It could be low cal since I didn’t waste time with the huge mountain of whipped cream added to a corner of the plate.)

As I was walking this morning, I noticed the sad appearance of so many trees in the neighborhood. Since we needed to cut down two of our huge trees this summer due to illness, I am noticing many more trees in trouble. (Why is it that you suddenly see so many examples once you are interested in a subject? It’s like being pregnant and seeing tons of other women “with child.” Or buying a unique color of car and suddenly noticing a gazillion of them on the way to the grocery store.) Look up towards the top of trees in your neighborhood and see how many branches are bare. The top tends to be the first place you can see any serious illness in most trees, or so I was told by the arborist who gave us our dismal news on our trees.

That’s somewhat true with people too. My mind is obviously on the many individuals suffering from varying forms of dementia or Alzheimer’s. As I type posts on various boards devoted to this population, I almost hear the cries of heartbroken loved ones making the difficult decision of the best residence to provide. Can home care still be provided with some additional help or does another dwelling have to be considered? What help can I provide while still working to pay for medical support? Why do people stare at the difficulties my loved one is trying to hurdle as he slowly stumbles along the path? Who is the best doctor who will understand the pharmaceutical information that is daily or even hourly changing?

It all starts at the top. Maybe God has it that way so we can also cast our eyes more easily on Him. I can’t imagine going down this path without God at my side. Yet this is one of the only times in my life when I have cried out in despair, questioning this horrid affliction causing havoc in my husband’s body. Will I be strong enough? Will I make the right decisions? Will I be able to meet those wedding vows of “in sickness and in health?” Will I wisely make monetary decisions? Will I still seek His presence when Bob’s health continues to wither?

I need to look up. Then I’ll see my true comfort and rest assured that life is good.

God Uses Our Love to Prove that Life is Good
         I look up now and see the man of my dreams by my side. Aaaah! Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment