Friday, August 10, 2012

Family

What is a family? When I say family do you think of some huge number that is spread throughout the county or is it a precise crew who reside within your home? Does Aunt Gertrude belong or did you kick her out of your tabulation once she started to snore in the middle of a conversation? How about your older brother Fred? He lives out in California at some old folks home and doesn’t even remember who you are? What about your daughter Abigail? She’s married with kids of her own. Is it double dipping to include her? Does she include you?

My daughter and HER family came to visit for the weekend. They are attending a baptism on Sunday so luckily decided to stay with us. The baby is part of my son-in-law’s family? Are they part of Stephanie’s?

When I talk about family I think of my wonderful husband AND I include my daughter’s family. I’m blessed to have a great group whose love keeps us bound tightly together. I know with whom I celebrate achievements and whom I call for comfort? I think those two categories are a better description than the people with whom I reside or a random group of relatives.

My family is all here this weekend and that feels good. It’s wonderful to play with my darling little grandsons who bring life to these walls. Watching Stephanie and her husband touches my heart. To know that they are happy is as if I have a job well done. With Bob troubled with a degenerative condition, I will be leaning on Stephanie a great deal. I will strive to insure it is not too much.

You see, that group of four (five if you count Louis, their cute dog) will only be nearby for two years. Then the ocean will whisper to my son-in-law and lead him back to a naval submarine. There are not many submarine bases here in the Midwest, so they will be off to reside near one of our oceans and for that I am very grateful. I don’t want this precious group to feel obligated to help care for Bob once LBD grabs onto him more strongly. They have a life of their own and I pray it will be a good one. Small boys don’t need to be part of times that will not be pleasant.

All I know is that right now, I am with my family. We love each other and will do anything we can to strengthen those chains that keep us together. We have lots of memories and lots more still to make. Thanks to you, God for my family because they insure a life that is good.

God Uses Our Love to Prove that Life is Good
        - God blessed me with a family that will always be near at hand to me and to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment