Friday, April 15, 2011

A Weeble with a Smile

I failed to write yesterday because the life of someone not employed outside of the home has such limited opportunity to take time to inform her friends of her well-being. Well maybe as a person on full-time disability, my physical condition prevented me from completing a highly technological task at the same level of frequency of others. Or, I could just be truthful and say I just didn’t get to it! Procrastination doesn’t usually lead to high productivity.

I do have somewhat of an excuse however. Yesterday, Bob had his orthopedic operation on his right foot. That statement actually is true. We were supposed to report to the hospital at 11:15 sharp. The operating room called just before 9:00 to request that we come to the hospital sooner. We hustled to get there. The original procedure was scheduled to begin at 1:15. Since we arrived early at their request, it instead started at 1:35. (I can sense many of you shaking your heads in understanding.)

The good news is that the surgeon was pleased with the result. Bob is now in a splint until Wednesday at which time he will get a cast. (I’m hoping he gets a Cubbie blue one similar to the one that graced my foot just a couple of years ago.) He’ll get new casts about every two weeks so the medical staff has job security and the doctor’s Lexus can have another payment ahead of time.

I expected Bob to feel quite uncomfortable today, but he’s doing quite well. Pain pills can do remarkable things. The hard part is reminding him that he is not to have ANY, can I repeat, ANY weight bearing on that foot. That includes trips to the restroom, journeys to the refrigerator when I run for milk, and other assorted excuses. I plan on running out and buying a case of duct tape if such behavior continues. We have an industrial strength power staple gun if all else fails.

God played a cute little joke on me today. I first complained of the cold wind and dark skies that started our day. Where was spring after all? That darn groundhog promised an early spring. He might need the PRC if this continues. I want spring now! Not two hours later, a torrential downpour convinced Einstein that this outdoor bathroom stuff is over-rated. As I was about to open my mouth in fury to complain, (I do complain pretty well; it is one of my few strength areas.) I remembered a major characteristic of spring. You all know the childhood rhyme, April showers, May flowers. I have such a limited scope on what I view as appropriate weather. I would like to have all four seasons with the outside temperature varying from 61o to 81o. I’m being very lenient here. I really would prefer 71o to 75o but don’t want to appear too rigid.

That’s what’s been keeping me occupied. If you need a good laugh you can picture Bob with his walker, attempting to maneuver without any weight on his right foot with me traipsing along behind bouncing off the walls. I’m being a Weeble with a smile. Life is good.

Today’s Advantage of the Mighty Three:
  • You never run out of things to talk about with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment