Saturday, April 2, 2011

Anyone Want to Share Oreos and Ice Cream

What a good day! The body begged me to pretend I was working on mattress research and having some devotion time in bed. Saturdays are a day off work and the normal schedule for lots of us. Even those of us at PRC get a reprieve from classes, PT and group discussions. On Friday, we had to fill out a time worksheet to plan our two days off. They tried to make sure that we wouldn’t be wrapped up all comfy in our beds, massaging our stiff muscles and eating chocolate while hiding under the sheets. Although those are three of my favorite things to do, and three of the few things that I still do well, I beat all odds and did what I promised on my time worksheet. I actually got up before noon! In fact, I did my stretching, a long outdoor walk, and a trip to Target to pick up my weekly pictures of the grandkids. All this and I was back to my hotel room by 11:00 AM. Miracles do happen.

I did my stretching. (I hope you were not disturbed by the loud creaking of my bones too early in the morning.) My working was focused on straightening up my one room suite. (I somehow lost my remote for the TV. How is that possible in one compact hotel studio?) I splurged with relaxation through a delightful massage. Ahhhh! Tonight I made five cards and tried to figure out this fantasy baseball stuff. At least I will make everybody else on my league happy as my team plummets to last place.

It was so fun at Target. I got to see beautiful children try to negotiate with parents, and parents attempt to distract their youngsters. One small girl tried her best to con her mom into buying the peanut butter that had Dora the Explorer on the label. A dad preferred one bride Barbie instead of a full dollhouse. Some parents were being silly with their children. A grandmother convinced a mom of the need of some toy while an angelic grandson gazed up in approval. (It was NOT me this time!) Stephanie sent super shots of Ollie and Teddy. I could almost feel the breeze as Teddy zipped by on his bike. I laughed with the giggling Ollie as he experienced Play Doh with glee. I needed to see some healthy kids since we don’t get a chance to see many of them up here. The few that cross, or rather dodge, my path is frequently on their way to oncology. Nothing like putting your priorities in a tailspin.

I’ll give you a hint to my goofy personality. Whenever I feel the pity party starting, I avoid the package of Oreos at the grocery store. I try to close my eyes to the ice cream safely stored behind those glass doors. Instead I rush home and click on YouTube and type in giggling children. How can anyone be sad when babies laugh with such gusto? Even the largest grouch can’t hide a smile when pet puppies give kisses to happy kids.

There it is! You have my secret to success! I want to get an appointment with a big wig up here at Mayo and get these screens installed throughout the halls of all the buildings. We all need more laughter in our lives.

Advantage of the Mighty Three

  • You get medical reasons to go for a massage and retail therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment