Monday, April 4, 2011

Really, Tai Chi and Yoga

I logged into this wonderful blog tonight at janetjabbers.blogspot.com. It’s an unusual effort of a ditzy blonde (really gray) attempting to use humor to describe her unique attempt to conquer pain and find the cure to cancer. When I logged in, I first read the prayer on the right column of the page: it’s a way to delay reading the actual blog.

I know prayers are not the same for everyone. My prayer read, “Lord, help me to spend the time I have in doing the things that matter most to you.” How fitting for my time here at Mayo. We’ve been urged to go past the pain. OK, we all know that pain wracks our bodies on a daily basis. None of us are here complaining about a paper cut, even those they do hurt like a son-of-a gun. Complaining about our aches, discomforts, throbs and owies, don’t improve the situation. We must instead focus on positive self-talk like The Little Engine That Could. Distraction and deep breathing can do wonders when used correctly. This body even does tai chi and yoga daily. (Stop laughing out there!)

Upon arrival, I set two main goals: to help me be the best wife possible for my husband as he struggles with pain and facing the unknown and be a great grandma for my two little grandsons. I must maintain the mantra “Wife, Grandma, Wife, Grandma” throughout even the toughest physical therapy and most intimate group discussions. During biofeedback today, I concentrated on photos memorized in my heart. I saw Bob and I on the beach, Teddy and I building the world’s best train track, and Ollie and I crawling through tunnels. (Well, he crawled and I quickly hobbled to the other end, but he was happy.)

This is my last week to lap in the luxury of my hotel suite in balmy Minnesota. Once home, please help maintain my focus. I can’t dwell on high credit card bills, clothes that somehow shrink just by hanging in the closet, or the cost of gas in Kalamazoo. (I’m not even sure exactly where Kalamazoo is located, but I took an author’s prerogative.)

Thanks God for the topic for today. Thanks family for easily being the things that matter most!

Advantage of the Mighty Three

  • You have lots of things for which to work. Maybe paper cuts could count as chronic pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment