Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Triathlete and the Angel

Tonight will be quite a night in many Chicagoland homes. Sports rule as hockey, basketball and baseball teams all do their best to provide excitement for their loyal fans. Most everyone had counted the Blackhawks out when they started the playoffs with three losses in a row but are now thrilled with excitement that the Hawks have won the last three games. It all comes down to the victor tonight to see who will progress to the next level of the hockey playoffs.

Emotions can change very quickly while faith ebbs and flows. Sometimes it feels mighty lonely. Chicago sports and chronic pain relief keep going because we are both praying and hoping for the flow days, or probably more accurately the flow hours. Family members of those with chronic pain get so thrilled about new techniques or unknown doctors, but patients frequently aren’t as willing to maintain that enthusiasm. It’s demoralizing to have dreams plummet time and time again. Then new days come, and hope sneaks in the soul. You try again. You pray that you will be blessed with those few hours without pain.

I’m trying to combine the two: sports and pain rehab. I’m a triathlete now and love this surprising idea. You should see or hear people’s responses to my new title. I have a goal to achieve that I have confidence can be achieved. Instead of racing to complete the tasks in a few short hours, I have a full six weeks. It’s called Lazyman Triathlon. I’ve divided my days into shorter goals. The 112 miles on a bike is not as bad if you ride a recumbent bike four days a week for six weeks. That’s 24O times in the saddle and only 4.6 miles each time. I can achieve that shorter distance. I also divided the 2.4 miles swim (173 laps) and 26.2 miles run or walk and spread it over six weeks. Once I’ve reached that triathlete title, I’m seeing a better chance for more flow time.

Today I went to a cardio class that was a wee bit too hard (or actually way too hard). Mind you, this was a “Senior Sneaker” class that was past my capabilities. That failure was great for the self-esteem. The Weeble walk was back. After class, the paths on the track were way too narrow for me to stay in just one. Everyone was passing by me: the elderly couple sneaking side glances, an autistic young adult wanting to meet new friends, two friends walking and talking. The young man employed with gym duty for the morning slyly did a fast dash for his boss, who luckily had met me a few days prior and could explain the vertigo vibe. Even with the hard class, roving walk and fearful looks by strangers, the good news is that I kept biking. I struggled to keep walking, but I maintained a smile on my face and a positive attitude. I don’t just have chronic pain; I’m a triathlete in training. Life is good.

(I just got a call from my Lancaster neighbor. She always was my angel at Mayo appearing at just the right time. Love you neighbor!)

Today’s Benefits of Living with Chronic Pain:
  • Life’s angels appear at just the right time. Life’s goals can be divided down into smaller and smaller sections until you can attain them.

No comments:

Post a Comment