Sunday, April 17, 2011

Jodi, June, Jeannie, Janet and Lily?

I’m currently reading a novel by one of my very favorite authors, Jodi Picoult. Her stories always leave questions about your own beliefs and values as you try to distinguish any inherent differences among the villain, hero and yourself. These simple fictional tales slip pondering points into your thoughts where they lay resting for many a day. Her stories are good, with excellent plot and fine character development (Now do I sound more like a reading teacher?), but I value most the way her words tumble down the pages, interwoven to provide secret paths leading to the love of words. She chooses her words with the skill of a surgeon to carve images into our imaginations rather than simply writing a description of the event. I wonder how she would use words to describe The Mighty Three. I would love to have a wisp of her talent to weave my words into pictures.

As I daily, or almost daily, write about my thoughts, worries, fears and loves, I wonder how my words are being unfolded by each of you. This blog has almost hit 1,500 hits. That’s a lot of word unfolding. Some readers like to be kept abreast of the happenings in our home. They giggle or gasp about each of my escapades as I try to pretend that life here is a mirror of past TV glories. Some days it seems like we’re the Jefferson’s, trying to move on up or rather keep on moving. Bob and I could be George and Gracie; I seem to ramble on with the same lack of forethought. We’re not Edith and Archie! He can be that stubborn but I’m not as submissive. (Plus my dear Chris is not the radical Meathead by any means.) We don’t have the musical talent of the harmonious Partridges and my body would never be seen like Jeannie’s. (Good luck trying to wipe that visual image out of your head!) I get in some of the predicaments of Lucy, but can’t figure out how to use Sabrina’s nose. I used to say we had the perfect Leave it to Beaver house, but you never saw June and Ward having trouble climbing the stairs. Plus, our attire surely doesn’t match their carefully ironed dresses and shirts with ties.

Readers over 40 can probably relate to many of those past TV sitcoms. I left off the Cartwright’s because we can’t even control Einstein, let alone having a ranch. I’m hoping that some analogies brought a smile. Erase the image of me as Jeannie and replace it with Lily. (How many of you now know to whom I am referring? I figure you usually don’t know what I am talking about anyway; now you won’t know whom I am talking about!)

We made it to church for Palm Sunday, a sincere need for both of us. The car swerved into a local haunt for doughnuts. We farmed, paid some bills, emailed friends and watched Nascar and the Cubbies. Bob is snoozing and I sit here rambling away. Life today was simple as a spring Sunday should be. Bob and I both search for a normalcy that is often missing here in our home. So I read my books, play on the computer and watch TV. The distraction helps. Your friendship means even more. Thanks for reading.

Today’s Advantage of the Mighty Three:
  • My mind can enjoy the beauty of words even though it is finding it pleasing while sitting on the floor in the closet. The lighting in there is pretty good and comes in handy when the vertigo decides my body needs to sit down for a while. Good thing I walk around with a book or magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment