Saturday, April 16, 2011

Romantic Measuring Cups

A good friend picked me up today to attend a wedding shower. How fun to see a young couple in love. Who else can get that excited about receiving a measuring cup or the third griddle the same day? Coincidentally it was my friend’s 40th wedding anniversary. (She got married at the age of eight.) I wonder how the expectations of the two couples are differing at this moment. How do they even match those of Bob and I?

I look at how Bob and I have changed over the years, even the last five years. We have both been caregiver and care receiver. We have cleaned parts of each other that do not exactly make others swoon with romantic tingles. We have fed, brushed, scrubbed and bandaged each other. We have laughed, yelled, cried and grumbled together and to others. Most importantly, we have worshipped and prayed together. I think the older that we get, the more we pray. Through it all, we know that we love one another.

I’m not sure that I would squeal in excitement over a new measuring cup.  I’m not sure they would blog if one is able to make it down the hall without falling. Yet we are in love with our partners for better or worse. The wedding present that we will give them will be more than something off their bridal registry. (I hate some of those registries. The items are never in aisle 38B. Searching to find a match of the USB code on the bottom shelf has never been easy let alone when I’m rolling down the aisle.) We will urge, beg, plead and bribe the wedding couple to spend just as much time as they did planning their special day as they do “working” on their marriage. It will not be all rose petals, Champagne and measuring cups. Some of their days will soar into heavenly bliss and others will be crash and burn.  (I’m glad they don’t know my blog site. I better purchase another measuring cup.)

They and we need to fall to our knees in prayer. We both need to thank God in prayer each and every day for blessing us with the loves of our lives. We both need to plead for the continuation of that love. We both need to maintain the faith that through God, our marriages will stay strong.

The Advantage of the Mighty Three:
  • Your life slows down enough to let you spend time on that marriage and know how blessed you are to have your fabulous spouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment