Thursday, April 21, 2011

I'm a Grandma

Yesterday was a wonderful day! I became a grandma. That comment may surprise many of you who know me very well. I have been bragging about that role for over three years. I dearly love my two little guys. That’s why I am so proud that I made grandma status yesterday.

I know that my writings can frequently cause wonder and confusion in many of the readers. I really need to carefully explain my excitement so that you too may have these feeling of success.

It all started about a week ago. I asked my eldest grandson what he wanted in his Easter basket from Nanny Easter Bunny. He quickly responded, “Ooo ocks!” After having him repeat this request multiple times with no increase of understanding in my rattled brain, I discovered that his mom also had limited knowledge. We guessed at “Blue socks.” My grandson grew more and more agitated that two of his favorite females couldn’t even understand him. When you think about needing multiple repetitions of simple requests without success from your listeners, it’s easy to pinpoint the reason for his frustration. That’s a large portion of my frustration with chronic pain; I don’t understand what is happening and neither do those people who surround me.

We finally figured out that his request was not for “blue socks” but instead “fruit snacks”. As I wanted to dig deeper and change the focus from our lack of good listening skills, I asked if he wanted anything else. He came up with juice boxes, apple juice is his consistent preference, and a helicopter with buttons.

I mailed off items for his family’s Easer baskets. When my daughter was younger, I tended to buy one or two items too many. She and my hubby got stuffed baskets with additional good stuff on the ground surrounding the basket. There ended up being a six-foot diameter of presents. Buying presents for an unseen basket presented even more additional visual challenges. To get to the heart of the matter, I’ll just say that my Easter box to the family was actually two boxes. I probably had enough for three boxes, but I will put on hold some of the items that didn’t fit. I can always send a Happy May Day gift.

The reason that I felt so good was that I came to the conclusion that I became a grandma. I have always worried that I don’t fill the shoes and rocking chair of my own mom when it came to being a good grandmother. I don’t match up to my personal definition of what makes a grandma good. I cringe that my chronic pain plu the mighty three will deprive my grandsons and me of a moving grandma/grandson relationship. During my visit at PRC, one of my top goals to achieve was to be a good grandma. I then needed to decide what fits that criteria.

When my daughter was little, she described a good parent as one who knew her favorite color, best friend’s name and the color of her toothbrush. That definition became firmly implanted in my brain.

I sent my little guys two boxes because I needed room for juice boxes, fruit snacks and a helicopter with buttons. How silly to ship juice boxes! It would be much easier if I just sent my daughter money, and she would run to the store to buy his big request. That would demolish my “score” to rank up points to gain grandmahood.

I’m praying that Teddy will see that I try my best to give him the things for which he asks. I could get him some clothes – boring – or coloring books and cars – I already did that in these two boxes.  The inclusion of the juice boxes, fruit snacks and heicopter with buttons should nopefully start to get ingrained that I DO listen tohim on the phone. It’s part of that whole unconditional love that was part of the sermon tonight.

Jesus added his last commandment during the time that we honor Holy Week. We need to love one another as God loves us. I want to be that kind of grandma.

I want to be the kind of grandma that can always be called for love and support. I want to buy him his first tank of gas (We have started saving now.), first college text, first drink at 21, and many firsts in-between. I want to be the grandma who listens to him.

There are lots of things that you long for in the same way.  Do you long for a spouse who understands you? Do you plead for a reprieve from chronic pain? Do you need a job with a boss who respects you? Each of these supplications need some quiet time.  

I’m a grandma. What a beautiful feeling with roots deep in your heart. May you reach your goal as a father, a boss, a wanna–be singer or writer .Someday! Maybe one day I will even reach the goal of author.

Use the gifts that God gave you. Keep up the great work..

Today’s Advantage of the Mighty Three

  • You still get to be a good grandma even with the Mighty Three.

No comments:

Post a Comment