Thursday, March 31, 2011

Picture Me in a Yoga Position

I just completed a lengthy email to my pastor back home to fill him in on some of my ideas for when I get home. I also described for the strong Christian force that permeates the air. I asked him, and I will ask all of you lucky people reading this blog, to please pray for all of the patients here at the PRC (Pain Rehabilitation Center). Ages vary from the 20’s to the 80’s. We’re from Alaska, Florida, Wyoming, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Canada to name just a few. The reasons for the pains often derive from diseases that I have never even heard of. There is not a person here that I haven’t seen cry in pain and likewise haven’t felt them take me in their arms to help ease a bad day. (The guys aren’t really rushing for intimacy. My sexy stance in sweaty PT clothes must be scaring them off!) They are all used to my wobbly walk and insist they need to examine the contents of my pink “water” bottle. There’s talk that I could invent some new line dance, but even I can’t replicate some of my more athletic movements. Two people have added grandchildren to their families while they were here while some younger patients have longed to attend special birthdays at home. One man had to leave for a week for a family funeral while another was sent to another part of the unit as he slowly withdrew from misuse of narcotic drugs. We come in all sizes and shapes, although my svelte profile can’t be matched. They all know that I am a grandma blessed with the best family ever. Yet we need your prayers. Pray for serenity, courage and endurance. Pray that we feel the dynamic arms of Jesus hold us safely in His care.
We all had high hopes that this extended trip would somehow take away our pain. BUZZ! We still have the pain, and for many of us, the pain is currently much worse than when we came. Painkillers on and off the market are contraband. Anti-depressants are not allowed. Crutches are taken so pain killer behaviors will disappear. We then have an hour each of physical and occupational therapy, and another 60 minutes each of stretches and yoga/tai chi. Stop and picture me exercising that long if you need a good laugh. Go ahead and giggle about this body in some of the more creative yoga conditions and tai chi formations. That comes to three hours of exercises every day. We may have pain, but we are getting pretty buff. I still have a long way before I can find the body I picture in the mirror. I don’t recognize the old, fat lady who greets me each morning.
My pain will be worse in the coming months, but tools like biofeedback, imagery and relaxation will hopefully get me stronger. Will I ever have the strength or energy I had before my body decided to call it quits for a while? Probably not! But I will keep on peddling. Please keep us in your prayers.
I need to get more sleep so “That’s all folks!” If you don’t know these three dynamic words, Google them. (Boy I feel old!)
Advantage of the Mighty Three
  • You have a built in excuses for your lack of rhythm on the dance floor. Your wobbles might even start a new dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment