Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bubbles

What a busy but worthwhile day. For those of you who don’t know, I am back at Mayo working in a 17-day pain management program. Boy do I have the stories to tell, but I realize that I won’t get to many of them. A look at the time makes me cringe as I imagine my nurse’s face when she reads the number of hours of sleep I will get tonight. But my goodness, what do they expect when they assign this much homework. This place is fabulous, but they sure want the details of my life. “What was your relationship with maternal grandparents when you were young? What was your relationship with maternal grandparents when you were a teenager? What is your current relationship with maternal grandparents? I’m waiting for questions about my relationships with the mail carrier, Target cashier, and the neighbor of the second cousin of my paternal grandparents on March 19, 1970? Don’t smirk over there. I’m almost serious.

Let me back up. Bob and I drove up on Wednesday. We needed to stop about every hour to stretch and ease achy bones and muscles. I think by now I have been in every McDonalds from home to Rochester. No problem, fast food is so good for my waistline. My tinnitus sounds as if someone is whistling at my figure. Woo Hoo!

I’m staying at an Extended Stay that is very nice. Bob helped haul all of my goodies into the room. He wanted to make sure that I was settled OK. Some people might describe this room as a studio, but they have no sense of creativity. I have a cozy kitchen complete with 2-burner stove, micro and frig. They supplied 1 knife, 2 forks, 3 spoons, 2 plates, 2 bowls and a frying pan. At least everything is within reach, so I don’t have to worry about my legs giving out. I have an office, craft room, family room, library, bedroom and bath. What else do I need? I splurged and bought those gaudy dyed daisies to brighten up the space. They sit next to pictures of grandkids and hubby that I brought from home. I even spent a whole dollar and have Easter window clings. They make me smile. That’s good.

My poor hubby made it home after an adventure with the airlines. Mechanical problems - that speaks for itself. He ended up taking a bus to Minneapolis for a plane to Chicago. I dropped him off at the Rochester Airport at 7:15 this morning and he didn’t make it home until around 6:00 PM. Doesn’t that sound like fun?

I have made friends with many of the other patients. We gave each other nicknames. (I wonder whose lopsided brain came up with that idea?) There is D-bar Neighbor, Green, Texas and Aloha. They picked “Bubbles” for my name. I think they have noticed my gift of gab. My biofeedback doctor asked if I would be able to do something difficult. I fell for his question and asked for a clarification. He wanted me to stay still and QUIET for five minutes. Yeah, right! We’ll be getting along just fine!

My vertigo decided to act up some for most of today. I guess it was easier for staff to check out the crazy lady demonstrating bouncing off the walls and sitting on the floor. When I got this big bod moving, I warned my companion that my vertigo wanted some attention. Most staff just walked and talked while I stumbled along in a beautiful zigzag formation. Some people asked if I wanted any assistance. My locker neighbor cleared my table and got my lunch ready. Nobody gawks or wonders whether I had snuck in some green ale. I fell a few times, but there is a therapy dog that would slowly amble over for a good scratch behind the ears. It’s another nice excuse for examining the carpet.

Besides Mayo info, I need to confess. My bichon, Einstein (for his hair not his brains) is ahead of me in the NCAA brackets. In fact, he is in first place!

Lots more to talk about, but I will save that for tomorrow. I better hit the mattress. I need all the beauty sleep that I can muster. Thanks for the prayers. I feel even stronger that God is here with me. You can look outside and see his handprint in the gorgeous rock formations. There is a sense of peace and serenity at the Pain Rehab Center, they call it the PRC, that can only come through the presence of the Holy Spirit. I’m amazed at the number of Stephen Ministers who are either patients or staff. There is the whisper of hope floating in the air. I can easily smile as I knock into that dumb pillar that jumped in my way.

This is right. I questioned coming on this adventure with some wonderful friends. My pastor sent me packing following a prayer, lying on of the hands, providing a gift of an oil cross on my forehead. That cross still is gently caressing my soul, urging me on and now scolding me that I am up way too late.

It’s not good getting the Holy Spirit mad, so I am out of here for now. Keep praying and then have some fun. Life will ramble past you if you don’t pay attention.

Advantage of the Mighty Three

  • You get to create new friendships strengthened with a bond of understanding, Translated, this means that Bubbles can’t keep her mouth shut and my new friends can’t keep from laughing. Thanks God! I like laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment