Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You HAVE to Read This One

The original plan of today’s blog was to be short and sweet, concise in my descriptions, and apologetic about the length of this week’s blogs. Well, you know what everyone says about the best-made plans.

Things went well at the PRC today. There was good sharing during the group times, deep friendships were being engraved in our hearts, and I worked hard to stretch my skills in physical therapy. I even followed Bob’s advice! The last thing he said to me this morning was “Try to have only one somersault today!” Although I once again compared the flooring in multiple rooms, I was the one going down to either a sitting or prone possession. I loved it in one group. I was lying on the floor and everyone just bent and peeked under the table when I thought I had something to share. Can you imagine me having something to say?

I was amazed to see the strong religious faith in the fabulous people who surround me every day. We are at the point of sharing Bible verses each morning! Promises of prayer are sincere. Where would we ever be without that faith? I don’t want to know. The Bible verse we chose today was “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” That says it all.

I made it home safe and sound, looking forward to a calm evening and short blog. I soon learned that the fun had just begun. Throughout my stay here, a black dust was mysteriously appearing overnight. I awoke one morning with a black mustache seeping through my C-pap. I scrubbed my face to remove this black grit. It actually was hard to get out of my hairline. When I lifted up a glass, you could clearly see its imprint. It reminded me of what bulletin boards look like at the end of the school year as teachers remove those clever, never changing boards. Remember now that for me to even see anything in the morning is pretty darn miraculous. While conferring with a nurse at my pulmonary/allergy office, she told me to get a new room. My C-pap could not be the naughty culprit. I had to admit my breathing was getting more difficult. This was not the place to stay for a person allergic to dust.

After some finagling, my room was changed to the second floor. The first room the desk clerk suggested was WAY at the end of the hall. I knew there was no way I could walk that far. This fat body could not daily traverse down the halls whistling some happy tunes. I would most probably resemble that thirsty man in the desert crawling to his mirage of water in the distance. I used my assertive skills (Do I hear applause out there?) to say that the room wouldn’t work. Miraculously, the desk clerk could now find another room a little closer to the stairs and elevator. The fun was beginning. I now had to move all of my stuff out an up. There was only one person behind the desk, so it was up to me. I began with positive thoughts and a go-get-‘em attitude. I quickly realized that among the pouring rain, tough PT workout, and movement of multiple items was way past my capabilities. Things were suddenly much heavier than they looked. Plus, who would ever be so hair-brained as to put Easter cling-ons on the window?

I was working hard gathering up my goodies. Those goofy carts have a mind of their own. On trip two,I discovered the hotel room key was not in my pocket. I had inadvertently left the keys downstairs. Oops! Both doors were firmly locked. The person on duty at the desk was gone and I plopped into a lobby chair. Seven hours later, she was smiling at the desk. I explained the situation and got a new key.

As I loaded up another cart, I reached my upper limits of pain and stress. The tears rolled down my plump cheeks. I could take no more. My poor hubby got an earful, but I was at the point that I needed to vent. Wiping tears and forming a tough outer appearance, I took up the third load and noticed the strength of the rain. Some people from upper floors even came downstairs to watch the powerful lightning slice the dark sky. They told me that we were in a tornado warning. No problem. I’m too heavy and stubborn to blow away. I got my unwilling cart into the elevator just in the nick of time. As I pushed the upper limits of my sanity, the elevator slowly started to elevate. THEN, a loud bolt of lightning hit something and we lost power. Mind you I was in the elevator at the time. Luckily the outage was short, so after 27 hours, I could feel the elevator slowly moving to the correct floor. One load to go and then I would be finished with this task. One problem, as I started to move, I noticed both feet firmly implanted. The pain was getting bad. The hotel employee saw that I needed help and wanted to rush me to the emergency room. I insisted that I always walk with a swagger, and stuttering was a great conversation starter. She warily looked at me, but came to my room and loaded up the last cartful. I plopped on the bed, just needing some time when you’ll never guess what came to my wandering mind. I heard the loud shrill of the fire alarm. Everybody out? Don’t worry about the storm warning or that torrential rain. Lightning pierced the sky and the wind grew cold. We squeezed as many as we could under the limited covering. The all clear seemed years away, but we made it.

So suitcases litter my hotel floor as I can now giggle about my situation. This is definitely the same God as who invented the giraffe. I sit in my hotel room and listen to the classical music on my computer. Two of the best-looking grandsons in the whole wide world snicker from their pictures taped to the mirror. (Did you know I was a grandma?) My flowers are still blooming, other details of the room can wait, and I contemplate my many blessings. I thank God for my support as I struggle through some tough days here in Minnesota. I have a hubby who loves me. That works out pretty well since I love him too. Church friends are checking on both of us, and my sisters are only a phone call away. God is good.

It’s time to call it a day. I need to get off these moist pants and read tonight’s devotions. Our Bible verse was perfect today: “(I did) do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

Advantage of the Mighty Three:

  • Those silly hotel carts used for luggage can go pretty straight if you have vertigo!

No comments:

Post a Comment