Friday, March 18, 2011

Where is the Camera?

Day two at Mayo was quite an experience. There were tears, giggles and hugs. Most importantly, there was sincere concern and love radiating from the halls. The Holy Spirit gently hovers and is silently waiting for any hearts that call.

All of the handicapped parking spots were full this morning, so I drove to the attached parking garage. At $12 per day, I wanted to avoid them. (I got a multi-day card that fortunately reduced that amount to about what I paid when I filled up my vehicle. Yee-Haw!) I wonder who designs these architectural monstrosities. You go up and down and way out of your way to turn and almost backtrack what you just drove. It was the first time today that I almost felt like I was being filmed to look at my reactions when facing drivers who accidentally drive the wrong direction or fight for a rare opening.

I checked in and saw my new friend. Neighbor and I have bonded through many similarities. We both have a strong faith, loving husband, love of books and chronic pain. Prayers are flowing! We are starting to be pushed to our upper limits. We’re cheerleaders for each other, but we don’t wear those cutesy little uniforms.

My first task was to complete a survey. It had 240 questions such as “I am not irritable very often.” Then people need to circle strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree and strongly agree. The lines are single spaced by a person with excellent eyesight for the font is smaller than these old eyes are used to. You mark a scantron sheet with itsy-bitsy bubbles. It didn’t take long for the vertigo to come on strong. My eyes needed to go back and forth between two sheets and then occasionally glance upward to further directions or comments from friends. I was sure I had to be filmed, but once again could not see any hidden cameras. I finally gave up and requested a piece of paper to just write the answer. You should see my writing though at the end. I could no longer request students to write neater.

After at least 354 hours of struggling over this, a doctor came to pick me up for my next task. I bonged off the walls, but the doctor said he wanted to observe my gait. Once again, I waved to that camouflaged camera. I went to a conference room with chairs filled with professionals quietly staring at me, ready with computer or pencil/paper to preserve my responses. With vertigo, they were kind of spinning around. That eliminated any fears. If they couldn’t stay in their chairs as they repeatedly lapped the room, I was really no big deal. Questions were professionally stated about my goals for the future. Tears came as I dreamed of being a better grandmother and begged for Bob and I to be able to enjoy a day of leisure without falls, stuttering, silly answers or pain. I was stuttering a great deal, which is the thing I hate the most. I don’t really mind walking like a ping-pong ball, but there are stabs of pain when I can’t express myself to others. After all, I have such dramatic things to record for history. I need to announce the cure for cancer. Maybe I just need to talk about the grandkids, but I don’t want to stutter doing that!

The nerves had that vertigo having a great deal of fun. As I walked back to the waiting area, I really banged against a door. It reminded me that the door always win when I decide to test it’s strength. My upper arm is getting pretty bruised already. I’m confident beautiful colors will be there by tomorrow. A staff member heard the thud and quietly came to offer an arm to help guide me on my way. There had to be that camera somewhere! This could win for funniest video. It could go viral on the Internet.

The day continued much in that fashion, but I was able to leave early. The nurse was busy with someone who needed her more, so I was granted leave earlier than normal. I decided to use the subway, or underground walkway, to head to the parking lot. I had extra time and wanted to learn the route. Let’s just say a cameraman had to be following me. I lost my car. Finally I clicked the alarm button. I could hear that annoying honking, but the noise just echoed in the building. Some other people tried to assist with no better success. I laughed at my struggle. Finally I saw the loudly beeping car but couldn’t get to it. By now I had quite an ensemble coming to the rescue with the same degree of success. I knew I was level 2, could see the car, but the cameraman was surely playing tricks. I waved as I went out of the garage to try to come at the car at another angle. Cheers erupted when I found the car and shouted thanks to my fellow parkers.

When I arrived to the hotel, my bed was shouting for me to visit. I ate a late lunch then made the fatal error of lying down to read some information. Hours later my daughter called. Glancing at the 6:15 time. There had to be some major catastrophe for her to call so early. I groped the fun, gasping to hear the news. Stephanie had to explain that it was 6:15 PM, and the kids just wanted to Skype. Oops!

I’ve accomplished little today. The headache powerfully came to be an advocate for my earlier vertigo. Even so, I could fool it as I successfully used my culinary skill and made frozen pizza and carrots for dinner. The breathing stuff hasn’t set my headache away, but I am about to try an imagery video to work on relaxation. I have a feeling it won’t work to its higher capabilities since I will be giggling about the hidden cameraman!

The Advantage of the Mighty Three:

  • A conference room of professionals staring at your responses loses its intimidation with them spinning around the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment