Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Knight in Spinning Armor

The weekend is almost over, but so is my body. I headed off to church for the late service. Do you believe that I actually thought I could make the early service? I was pleased to see that the parent’s room was dark and empty. As I sat back and luxuriated in the peace, the service began. As if on cue, two families with 97 children raced in my retreat. I climbed over some kids while I dodged a couple of balls and rolled my way out of the room. I then tried the main sanctuary but was soon met by the loudest organ in history. I stumbled to an usher to request a chair in the hall. I remained there for a bit, but all I could see was the wood on the door. Although people hushed when they noticed my presence, it was not the most spiritually moving experience I have encountered. Back inside for the sermon, I prided myself for making it through this far. As the offering began, I noticed the bulletin called for music from the orchestra. They had offered a wonderful piece for the prelude, so I sat back with a smile. Bong, Bong! This song began with kettledrum and cymbals. Sorry God, I was out of there.

I made a fast stop, then headed to the hotel. I knew laundry waited. My head had been unhappy since I woke up, but I didn’t realize the fun was yet to begin. I thought I was tricky throwing my dirty clothes in my wheeled suitcase. May I suggest to all of you to open a laundry mat if you are in need of funds. The price of those machines – whew!! I felt like I was back in college as I stuffed everything regardless of color into the machine. I wobbled upstairs to wait. When I headed down to move things into the dryer, I could hear the washer at the end of the cycle. Of course unless you are reading this outside of the continental United States, you probably heard it too. As I switched the load, I quickly realized that this was harder than I thought. I needed to make an 180o turn to get from the washer to dryer. After I did that pirouette a few times, I was spinning faster than an Indy racecar. As I leaned down into the washer for the last time, the agitator (I had to check the Internet for that term) went for one more spin around the block. As I stood up, my tush went down. I’ll conclude with merely mentioning that the washing machine and floor were not cushioned. As I tried to focus on the spinning ceiling tiles, a handsome knight rushed in to help. If I were 50 years younger and 200 pounds lighter, it might have led to more than a grunt as he helped me to my feet. The hotel clerk flew in next. She had picked me up, literally, on multiple occasions, so she bounced me to my room.

A friend from PRC called to check on my survival. I had earlier emailed her to tell her dinner with me was not in the stars even though I was still seeing stars. We had some good laughs before hanging up. I promised that I would shower in the dark before she sat next to me the next day. You see there is only one switch in the bathroom. It turns on the light and exhaust fan, a very loud exhaust fan. I avoid falling on my face by not turning on the light. Instead, I leave on the kitchen light, open the door and do my thing. As long as I don’t continue this habit in public, I will be ok.

Stephanie sent me a new set of pictures that once again brought tears to my eyes. The pack ended with a picture of Stephanie and I when she was about six. The next included three generations. My wonderful mom sat by my side and held my two-year-old daughter. What wonderful memories! My sister Judy called checking on my retail therapy. Then, my hubby called to tell me that he changed his flight to arrive 24 hours earlier. That would allow him to attend both days of the family support program.

I sit here typing with two lumps on my head and bruises on my body with a full heart bursting with happiness. I have the best family in the world that supports me through these tough weeks. I have new friends to make me laugh and cards from “old” friends decorating the mirrors. I heard a fantastic, spiritual message that still echoes in my soul. Life is good.

Advantage of the Mighty Three:

  • Handsome guys come to the rescue when you lie on a laundry floor looking your very finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment