Saturday, March 26, 2011

RT

I didn’t blog yesterday. I just needed some quiet time to reflect. I ordered pizza and was snoring by 8:00 PM. Pizza is a no-no according to the foods that I am allowed, so maybe that’s why it tasted so extra good. My schedule at the PRC was really changed on Friday. Other than lunch, I didn’t do anything that was on my original order of the day.

In the morning, my best time of day (ha-ha), I was pulled out for a LONG memory test. I was timed on saying the alphabet backwards, remembering factual information from a story, and completing a dot-to dot with alphabet and numerals. Of course, that had to be backwards for letters and frontwards for the other. Oh, the numbers had to multiples of 7. When one of the tests toward the end of the session began, the examiner mentioned the word “backwards” and I turned my chair to face the door. Although she giggled, I’m not too sure how she appreciated my unique sense of humor. My spelling was pretty good, but my hand was shaking pretty badly so I’m not sure how much was legible. At that point, I was just proud that I could remember my name and birthday. How far can you list the presidents (full name) backwards?

I also had “group”. That entails 43 people seated around the table staring at you and checking on your progress. This is held twice a week. This time,I had the clinic’s head honcho and I was not intimidated. I was considering having him sing the National Anthem backwards but kept a moderate level of decorum. At one more emotional point, the Kleenex was passed my way. After taking a tissue, I commented that another $400 would be added to my bill now. At least that brought laughter. The “big guy” offered me the box at the end of our gathering and told me it would not be added to my bill. See, life is good.

After lunch, I got to see a woman with a great deal of experience in spinal cord injury. I wish my Bobby could have been beside me. I’m praying that I can also receive information that will help my guy.

I had about ten minutes of OT. We were encouraged to get out this weekend instead of spending all the time in our spacious hotel rooms. One suggestion was RT. What a wonderful recommendation from medical staff that I strongly support. It was a super part of my day up to now. Oh – for those of you not enlightened in this new medical break through, RT stands for retail therapy. I just love to help the economy.

I just watched an inspiring movie that you have to watch. Check out Listen to Your Heart. It was free on Netflix. I clung to my laptop and went through about six boxes of Kleenex. (I should have snuck more from PRC!) Maybe I lost a pound or two in water weight. One of the best quotes was “You have to try the hard things. That’s where most of the dreams hide.” It was kind of like Love Story from decades long ago. I was deeply engrossed when the Internet stopped the film at the climax of the action. I decided that I didn’t like that interruption, but I guess you can’t complain when the Internet is free.

It’s funny how life has so many interruptions. There’s seventh inning stretch, intermission at the theatre, and half time in football. Take Me Out to the Ballgame” lets me stretch those sore muscles. Intermissions let me mingle around, and half time gets me out of the cold. Commercials allow viewers to dash to the bathroom or hit the refrig. Stand next to me at a Cub game, and you will be searching for beer vendors. This whole trip to Mayo has been an interruption to all of our lives.

I’m trying to view my Mayo interruption as a chance to feel better. Mayo is interrupting our lives for three and a half weeks. I couldn’t be closer to the wonderful friends who sit beside me daily. Each of us has pain wracking our bodies in different ways, but we have banded together all the stronger. When I walk sideways, two of the guys just play volleyball with me as the ball as we go down the hall. This trip will help me learn to deal with the pain. It’s not going away so I must learn some “tricks” that will help the problem, that’s where that retail therapy comes in handy. I keep hearing one of the doctors chanting “head back, shoulders down, deep breath, self-talk, smile” repeatedly during the minutes. It does have a certain beat to it.

We try to keep spirits up. A highlight of Friday was when we decided to switch nametags. We kept our giggles hidden until the speaker looked at one of the males who was now named Janet. (I wonder where he got that nametag?) I love when we start each class with a joke and pass each other Bible verses. This is a tough program, as my multi-colored legs show, but we complete things as a group. I’ve sat on the cold bathroom floor as the migraine nausea came to visit. I’ve given hugs to many when bodies shudder with the pain. We share our lives, barren to the bone, and then hug good-bye as the weekend begins. The week does end with a smile. Can you picture me doing tai chi or a 300-pound man trying to assume a yoga pose? We all care for each other, so life is good.

Thanks so much for the interruptions in my evening, making me run (not meant literally) to the lobby to pick up letters of love and encouragement. I appreciate all the fabulous cards and emails, but most of all, the many prayers I feel surrounding me.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Maybe try RT. That retail therapy is pretty good.

Today’s Advantage of the Mighty Three

  • Where else can you get permission to shop away for the benefits of retail therapy?

No comments:

Post a Comment