Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Fringes

Bob and I made it to church today. It always feels wonderful to see our church family. The sermon compared the Transfiguration to Golgotha in a unique and comforting way.

Due to the noise and vibration of the organ, we have come to sit back in the narthex. It used to be seating just during music but has come to be during the entire service. We jokingly refer to these seats as "in the balcony". I’ve always known that somehow there are “reserved” seats in the pews. Golly forbid you sit in the place of the senior ladies or even certain families. I had never heard of saving these seats way out in the fringes though. This location lacks some of the peace found in the pews. People see us and offer sincere hugs and concern, but that sure distracts two ol' folk with ADD tendencies. The noise of kids, latecomers, ushers and even friends can interfere with the service, but at least it feels like home.

Bob and I are in the fringes – almost there, but not quite. We have become more spectator than participant. How true this also seems for our life. We want to go to the mall, basketball game and social gatherings. Our current physical conditions have instead placed us in the fringes. Right now, he wants to go out to dinner. (The new kitchen has not improved my culinary skills.) I'm afraid to go because the strong medication has finally slightly broken my migraine.

There are advantages to our fringe lifestyle. We save money by not going to the movies, concerts or ballgames. We spend more time together. (Poor Bob, with me 24/7.) People know where to find us. BUT, we miss our friends. That’s one way this blog has been beneficial. People still hear how we are doing. My jabbering keeps people in touch. I love to hear comments my jabbering, but I've been told leaving comments is not as easy as it sounds. Living in the fringes is too often a spectator sport. We peek in but don’t fully take part.

Right now, fringe life is all that we can hope for. We ache to get back to the throngs and join in the fun. We’ll get there sooner or later with the help of our pain doctor and the wonderful folk up at Mayo. Just keep turning around, give us a wave and share your love.

Advantage of the Mighty Three:

  • · You get special seating at events.

No comments:

Post a Comment