Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Just Pray

I arrive back at my hotel room, past tired but contented. I received four fantastic cards today from friends and family encouraging and strengthening me. It sets a tranquil setting for the hours and days ahead. I’m accustomed to my room and have developed a routine for these nightly hours.

The theme of the day has definitely been prayer. Once again, a classmate said goodbye. We’re losing friends every day this week. Yet each departs with declarations of continued communication. Although we sense these are echoes of false promises, the need to keep our strength allows these fragile fibs.

This afternoon my migraines were pulsing to a Latin beat, a fast Latin one. The piercing sounds didn’t harmonize with the tinnitus rock n’ rolling an 80’s tune. I realize that God forgot to provide me with even one musical chromosome, but could there be some nice chords? I’ve made arrangements at my home church to pick one envelope out of the collection plate if I just mouth words and emit no sounds. I’m starting to ramble.

God suggested I skip (isn’t that a funny word for me to use) out of the discussion and head to the Quiet Room. I was shocked to find the normally empty room packed with others experiencing similar discomforts. One recliner in the middle was empty but the silly chair kept spinning away. A friend quickly aimed me in the right direction, and I gratefully felt my body seated. (For a change, I was reclining in a chair instead of the floor. That’s progress!!) I soon heard the quiet sobs from a senior next to me. You could tell she tried to stifle all sounds, but her pain could not be quelled. My hand levitated to her shivering frame and quiet prayers slipped from my soul. I felt compelled to help, but my body forbids me jumping to my feet to perform a 20-minute comedy routine. I’m not even sure what I prayed, words just slipped from my lips as I tried to blanket her mind with God’s peace. It worked. She whispered her thanks and grasped my hand in thanksgiving. She noticed my tremors and Cubby blue fingers. She then held my hands with the gentle reassurance of a mother’s love and began to pray for me. We held each other in silence while quiet tears rolled down our cheeks. Life is good.

I then worshiped at a local church that has hosted me for these last emotional weeks. Despite a loud organ and lots of songs, the comfort of a sanctuary and blessed words of a sermon settled my tired bones. I even used my assertive skills after the service to join the congregation in a delicious supper. (Yes, I am the one who won’t go to a garage sale unless other people are there for I fear hurting the buyer’s feelings!) The yummy soup filled me up, but I forced myself to add chocolate cookies. (They don’t have calories when eaten in a church setting.) This church unfortunately matches my home congregation in one important characteristic. Friends were reuniting after time spent apart and somehow missed my less than small frame shaking away. This is now my fourth time worshipping in this gorgeous church. It’s jammed with wonderful missions, active youth, darling children, insightful sermons and fabulous stained glass. But it’s filled with people, active people with busy schedules. Not once has a member started a conversation, even when I uncontrollably sobbed in their chapel on my first Sunday. Luckily my introverted personality (no guffaws out there) allows me to begin introductions. Once this has started, a welcoming nature gently rolls with smiles and simple conversations. One just needs to find the strength to reach out!

The best part of the evening was when the pastor asked if they could include me in Sunday prayers. That took less than a millisecond for affirmation and another second for my request to include my hubby in these prayers. Although I was starting to tire after a very full day, my body was quickly renewed with the energy to keep going. They are going to pray for me and even include Bob. Wow!

How many times have I worried about what gift to purchase for a friend or family member? How often have I stuffed gifts into decorated bags as I head to a gathering? I remember the card (sometimes) and even the ribbon for decoration (well at least I think of it right after I leave home). I’ve got the matching tissue and use that Hallmark shake taught by my daughter. Yet, I forget the best gift of all. A simple prayer would be perfect to include. It’s always the right size and doesn’t need to be returned to the store. My husband doesn’t go in shock or hyperventilate when the charge bill is viewed. Prayer works.

The moral to tonight's blog is threefold. Try to search out strangers before or after a church service. Reach out to new bodies (even those that shake and wiggle like Jell-O). Most importantly, pray! I'll quit the sermonizing for tonight and leave it to the wonderful clergy sharing their skill. Instead ponder on the number of people who gathered on a Wednesday night to honor Christ and have some self-reflection. What a comfort.

Advantage of the Mighty Three:

  • People remember you in prayer. Pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment