Friday, December 11, 2009

Teachers

Ponder this verse: "The Lord your God will send you a prophet, You are to obey everything he tells you to do." Acts 3:22

Teddy Questions: What is the name of your pastor? Name other people who tell you about God.

The first question is easy while the second one requires thought. There are so many people who tell me about God. My Mom gets most of the credit. Despite her pain and sorrow, she ALWAYS ended phone conversations with "I'll pray about that." Calls of complaint, worry, anxiety, excitement and confusion all brought that same response. I miss her every day.

There was Mrs. Hedberg at church. I remember her Happy Birthday Jesus parties. She taught me that there really was a church family who cared about ME! That was such exciting news to me, and it still is.

My family teaches me about God. Bob is truly a gift from God. He teaches me that it is OK to be mad at God and to pray while commuting in the car. He teaches me about unconditional love and humility. He teaches me about love for the family and the priceless beauty of doing the small things that make such a difference. He supports me through physical and mental pain. Stephanie has given me so many ponder questions throughout her years. She is not afraid to question instead of blindly believing. She reads blogs and participates in the Wired Word, an electronic Bible study with a church message board. (I really want to get one of these for our church.) When I see her family at the altar rail, Chris, Stephanie and Teddy, I feel the Holy Spirit inflate my heart with a humble pride. The faith has been passed and is continuing strongly.

My Uncle Carl, a retired pastor (or supposedly retired pastor), has provided me with answers to some of those pondering questions. His clear writings and song lyrics glue our family's faith to us. His living example of a loving marriage (thanks Aunt Dee) shows others of the sanctity of the wedding vows. His willingness to share his faith with Bob by following my husband's lead is true evangelism.

All of my church friends are examples of the strength of a church family. I am awed by the faith ever evident in their homes and actions. So many people have supported Bob and me that there are too many to mention. Fellow Stephen Ministers and members of the church council provide Christlike help in good times and in bad.

When I worship in my sisters' churches, I can almost feel Mom giving us a hug. All of her grandchildren still attend church. They more than attend; they are active. My own daughter teaches Sunday School, brings friends to MOPS and bakes for fundraisers. When any of the nieces or nephews gather with me for communion, I know God is alive.

I am blessed with such a variety of teachers, each offering their own words and deeds. Thanks God for my living examples of Your love.

Ponder your teachers my dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment