Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dominique! Where are You?

The verse for pondering today is from 1 John 4:15. "If anyone declares that Jesus is the Son of God, he lives in union with God and God lives in union with him.

The Teddy questions are "Can you think of a song or a hymn that calls Jesus the Son of God?" and "Can you sing it?"

During my daily commutes, my radio is tuned to stations with full-time Christmas carols. It helps to set the tone for the day and remind me of the Advent season. There are the solemn hymns sung by my grandparents. There are goofy more commercial versions. I get excited when I finally hear Dominique the Donkey over the airwaves.

You don't want me to sing any of the songs I know. In fact, church lets me help myself to an offering envelope if I promise not to sing. That's why I like to sign. No one can hear me when I am up by the altar. I love the gift of music, but God sure skipped me when he handed out musical talent. I love the songs but my versions are so far off key they make all of the dogs in the neighborhood howl.

I love to wonder about how many people have ever sung some of the classics. How many people will be singing Silent Night on December 24th? How many people know the first verse by heart? How many different versions are recorded each year by the variety of people more talented in singing than me?

Certain songs remind me of certain people. So many of these songs have special meaning. What songs have meaning for you? What are your favorite carols? What songs do you hum during the day? Let me know if you love good ol' Dominique.

No comments:

Post a Comment