Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Teacher Appreciation

Today's verse: "You call me teacher and Lord, and you should because that is who I am. And if your Lord and teacher has washed your feet, you should do the same for each other." John 13:13-14

Teddy Questions: Who is your favorite teacher? Write all of your teachers thank-you letters for Christmas.

The first thing that automatically popped out of this verse is obviously the teacher part. I have spent 31 years (well, 30.5 years) in the classroom. I love my work with the kids, but the paperwork and some of the adults make me pull out my hair. (I'm trying to just pull out the gray ones. With a look in the mirror, that is not hard to do.) I take great pride in this occupation and the special students entrusted in my care.

I think of all the people who teach me. My husband teaches me about unconditional love. His small actions that continually occur prove how important a good marriage is. My daughter teaches me to be more assertive. She encourages me to have faith in my abilities. My son-in-law teaches me about responsibility. He daily sacrifices a great deal of personal satisfaction in order to serve the US as an officer in the Navy. My grandson Teddy teaches me to enjoy life. Get off the couch and go play choo-choo to forget about any aches or pains. Ollie, my grandson of four days, teaches me that there is a holy creator. One glance down at those tiny hands makes you look up in prayers of thanksgiving.

My students teach me things every day. I learn about fighting adversity as they struggle to read. Many of their families struggle economically. What a lesson on priorities. How blessed economically we are! My sisters teach me the value of family. Even my dog Einstein (named for the hair and not the brains) teaches me to spend more time enjoying life and to forgive more easily. Friends from church teach me about the Christian family. I learn of faith, prayer and the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Who are your teachers? Who do you teach? God has given us many to help guide us through our daily lives. Plus I must never forget the best teacher of all, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment