Saturday, December 12, 2009

Speak Up

Weekend has arrived, and the body is weary. The holiday brunch with Stephen Ministry is tomorrow morning. What a blessed group of amazing individuals. Merry Christmas to all of you.

Today's verse is "We have a great high priest, who has gone into heaven, and He is Jesus, the Son of God." Hebrews 4:14
Teddy Questions: When was the last time one of your parents spoke up for you? At the doctor? At school? What other people speak up for you?

How interesting that I begin my writings with note of our Stephen Ministers even prior to my reading of the verse and questions. This tightly knit group has supported me more than they realize. I know that I could call any of them, and they would be there to speak up for me at a moment's notice.

Bob supports me. He sometimes wants to speak up too much, but that is just because he loves me. I know that he would love to do a little more speaking right now if I set him loose. Just knowing that support is all I need.

Stephanie is much more assertive than me. She has begun to reverse our roles as she continually watches over me. I am positive that she would speak up for any of my needs or wishes if given the opportunity. She is not afraid to voice her opinions and express her feelings when the need arises.

I wish people at work would feel free to speak more easily. Some are very supportive while others protect themselves with silence. That fear permeates throughout the building and swallows up one's pride.

I was never one to really stick up for myself, but if anyone dared to speak unkindly about my daughter, mom or husband, watch out. The claws would come out, and the tongue remarkably loosened. I see that trait in Stephanie even more now that she is a mother. (Did you know that I was a grandmother of two adorable boys!) I am glad that she has that strength. It will do her well.

People don't need to actually say or do anything. It is the knowing that they would that lifts my heart in thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment