Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Crown Without the Tree

Today's verse is so great for the 3rd Sunday in Advent: "Rejoice and shout for joy! Behold your King is coming to you." Zechariah 9:9

Teddy Activity: Can you make a paper crown to remind you that Jesus is your King?

The Stephens' Brunch held yesterday at church was wonderful. We truly gathered as a family for a time of fellowship. The food was great and the company was better. We concluded with individual blessings for the new year. Tears were shed, smiles aplenty as honest thoughts were shared.

Prior to this, Mary, another leader and good friend, shared with me her delay in the usual Christmas trappings. We compared our shortcomings. I have one tree up, thanks to Bob, but minus any ornaments. She has the tree still in the box sitting on the living room floor. I have signed one card; she has put the address label on one. She was to give a Temple Talk that evening on finding the Christ in Christmas.

Despite my lack of trips to the mall, my absent holiday decorations, my unopened boxes of Christmas cards, I started to feel the Christ in Christmas. It was ever so present in all of the people around me. The work we do as Stephen Ministers is definitely done in Christ's name. We each rely on the help of the Holy Spirit as we begin each visit with our care receivers. Jesus is king. He's stronger than the holiday decorations, commercial advertisements and annual mailings.

So close your eyes amidst the rush and put that crown in the manger. God is good. Happy birthday Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment