Saturday, November 24, 2012

An Excuse for Hot Chocolate


Lewy has been with us most of the day. My poor husband decided not to go to the Northwestern football game. He couldn’t take cold weather combined with a case of Lewy. It was a good thing for this decision because Lewy only got worse as the day progressed.

He sat in his Lewy trance for most of the day. I still cringe when I see this behavior, but I worry of that someday when I will not even notice? I just sat next to him for hours and tried to keep him from falling from the couch. The woman who cleans our house was surprised, no shocked, to see his condition. Even though many people have heard of Bob’s condition, it really takes seeing Lewy in action to understand the depth of Lewy’s hold on my Bob.

We went for a car ride just to get out and I must have asked him 3,000 times how he was doing. I felt like I had gone back in time to when I asked Stephanie if she was cold. Instead of this being the mother thing to say when winter strikes, it is the spouse thing to say when Lewy strikes. I suppose it is a prime example of demonstrating my love for my family.

I find that I want to be with him. At the start of Lewy, he really wanted me next to him. Even an aisle or two at Target was enough to send him into a frenzy. Now I am the panicked shopper. When we are home together, which is 95% of the time, I find myself needing to be in the same room as him. I often just stare at him as he combats his hallucinations, inwardly sobbing for this dreadful disease. It is slowly stealing my husband and there is nothing that I can do.

I’m blessed that we are able to be together. We are good for each other even after all of these years. There’s a certain comfort to huddle down on the couch with my hubby as we grasp big mugs of steaming hot chocolate. Ahhhh! Life is good!

God Uses My Blog to Remind Me that Life is Good:
         It gives me a good excuse to sip hot chocolate and forget about the calories that are being placed on my thighs. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment