Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Few More Know


Yesterday, I was the speaker for our continuing education for Stephen Ministers.
The topic was Lewy Bodies Dementia, the disease that haunts my husband’s soul. I thought it appropriate since other members of our congregation also have different sorts of dementia and someday those care givers may want a Stephen Minister. I also wanted to expand the personal knowledge of the group. Additional awareness is needed throughout our nation. Finally, I wanted to explain Bob’s condition so others might better understand his Lewy behaviors.

I didn’t cry. I’m blessed with the tendency to blubber away whether happy or sad. Just toss me a box of tissues before I go to a movie or say good-bye to loved ones. I’ve always had this characteristic and have sobbed my way through life. I expected blubbering, but my body held out. The only other time I didn’t cry when I expected to do so was when I woke up my daughter to tell her my mother had died. I feel like I have come to accept LBD and am gathering knowledge to better fight the next chapter. We have a long way to go, but we will do it together.

My body has lacked any endurance. After I gave my talk, I was pretty much zonked for the day. Today we went to early church followed by a nice breakfast. Once again, I came home just looking for my pillow. I don’t know what is going on. Bob of all people feels that I need more sleep each night. (That’s kind of amusing coming from the guy who is playing on his computer to the wee morning hours.) Anyway, I can always benefit from beauty sleep, so I will be hitting the hay much earlier this week to see if that helps.

It’s a blustery day. The wind is blowing lawn chairs throughout the neighborhood. I think I just saw a neighbor’s dog blow by the window. It was in the 70’s today and should only get to the 30’s tomorrow. That’s plain nuts. When a front goes through or the wind is blowing, it starts my Mighty Three into action. That led me into taking a nasty fall in our family room, hitting my elbow. Our rug caught my empty head, so no major damage was done to anything besides my pride. I don’t like this wobbly feeling and I like even less when it strikes hard. My padding protects me and Bob helps bounce me to a vertical position. It’s just a normal day in our home.

That was our weekend. We’re a barrel of laughs over here, but we both know things could be much worse. The northeast is still drying out and trying to make new homes from the damage. We can’t complain. Life is good,

God Uses This Blog to Prove That Life is Good
       More people know about Lewy. We will keep spreading the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment