Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Back to LIfe

Hurray! I have returned from chilly Mississippi and am currently finishing my visit with Stephanie and those cute little grandsons. My body has started to remind me that I have some physical, and perhaps mental, disabilities, but has done remarkably well for what I have put it through. I creak, groan, fold and moan when I attempt to train for an Olympic feat like breathing.

I purchased compression socks after Bob’s orthopedic surgeon got a glance at my ballooning ankles after my last airline flight. I’m not sure what caught his attention for my legs haven’t captured the attention of any males for over a century. I used to think world records could be stomped out if my ankles were measured in hot weather after an airplane ride, however that was before my daughter and I just watched a TLC show depicting a man with a 200 pound leg. Yep. (Check out one of these sites for those of you curious about my exaggeration of any part of this tale.)    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/01/05/man-undergoes-surgery-to-remove-200-pound-tumor-on-leg/
OR
It’s just too weird for even me to make up. Anyway, I decided my pudgy ankles were not wonderful to lug around Mississippi and didn’t want to confuse Ollie, my little animal lover, by having him think I was partially cloned with an elephant. Although hardly a fashion statement, these lovely legwear were worn resulting in minimal water retention. Success!

Now, back to the main reason for my trip south of the Mason-Dixon line. The commissioning of a submarine is awe inspiring and something more Americans should get to observe. The majority of the program was listening to multiple senators, governors, mayors and high ranking military officials congratulate each other for a job well done. Security was tight. Helicopters hovered overhead, and small ships with huge guns circled through the surrounding waters. About 8,000 folding chairs had been set up with the use of lasers to insure proper placement. (That’s a heck of a lot of seating.) We were ushered to our seats by members of the crew after somehow surviving a definite logjam of vehicles that extended as far as the eye could see, delaying the ceremony for a good half hour. Even with that timing, many people didn’t make it to the submarine. Here are a couple of great pictures from the day:
OR

My favorite part by far was after all the speakers had finished. The commanding officer addressed the crew who had been standing at the rear for about two hours. They were commanded to, “Man the ship and bring her to life!” With those simple eight words, the crew in their dress uniforms dashed up the main aisle, down the ramp and aboard the waiting submarine. The surprised crowd cheered away as they saw their loved ones about to partake in what they had long been trained.

I wonder what I would need for me to come to life. I got back to Connecticut with Stephanie urging me to head to bed. My ankles weren’t swollen, but I think my brain got washed away. My blog has been postponed for even today she insisted that I return to bed. My eyes have been glazed and pills have been popped. I pray that tomorrow I will also “come to life.”

That’s enough for today. There’s a lot to talk about now that I am attempting to get back on track to the living. Thanks to God, my life is good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good
       -  My body attempts to assume a Sleeping Beauty imitation after any travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment