Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Blue Skies

I made it safely to Connecticut and things have been wonderful. It was the perfect Memorial Day holiday complete with a trip to the cemetery, a beach, pizza and ice cream. My daughter has a tradition that each Memorial Day, she takes her small boys (now ages 4 and 2) to a local cemetery. They look for tombstones with US flags and then squat down so the eldest can say, “Thank you for keeping me safe.” How moving to see two little boys better understand the purpose of the day than 99% of the rest of the American population!

Today I got to see the perfect Little League t-ball game with youngsters ages 4 – 7. Everyone bats. There are no outs. Everyone runs all of the bases. You cheer on everyone and shake hands when all is done. It is a team effort. There are snacks at the end of the game. Life would be so wonderful if it could run with the same rules. If you are tired, sit down and pick some flowers. Dandelions or clovers work stupendously. There are lots of nice rocks to use to fill your pockets. Check around you and you can hear others encouraging you on. Nice rules.

My body has been hanging on, although somewhat precariously the last two days. My vertigo has been hovering in the background, bothered even by walking the aisles in Target. The little hugs and silly giggles somehow make it all fine. The ground is harder and much father away then the last time I was here. My two little grandsons have been transformed into older and smarter versions. This family shares every core Christian value. I feel blessed.

It’s back on the plane tomorrow to head for Mississippi where my son-in-law’s submarine will be commissioned. The boat has already arrived and the festivities have begun. I don’t quite understand the Navy’s reasoning having the christening on December 3rd in Connecticut and then commissioned on July 2nd in Mississippi. Did they not consult a meteorologist or a child over the age of seven? Even with the warmth, it will be quite a patriotic honor to see this rare event. I’m lucky that I am able to be part of it.

We leave tomorrow with two excited toddlers in tow. My focus will be on them and this wonderful festivity. Since my body crashes about 3.4 seconds after they finally fall asleep, I won’t be taking my computer south. So, no blogs for a while!

Meanwhile, you can pray my body behaves and remains vertical throughout the day. It would be lovely having a cold front beat us to the Mississippi borders so cool breezes could stay nearby. I kind of doubt that will be happening, but a girl can wish. Stay tuned until June 5th when my little fingers will once again be in touch of the computer keys. I won’t be traveling with my computer; it might end up with a southern drawl. I’m sure there will be lots to blog about once I return up North. I bet it will be filled with wonderful tales about the grandsons. Meanwhile, may your summer skies, and not your mood, stay blue.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove the Life is Good
      -  I can take trips across the country whenever I please. In less than one month I will have seen the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico. Not bad for an old lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment