Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sudsy Cookies and Bugs

The highlight of my day was right after our cleaning lady left this afternoon. She had started a load of wash before heading out. I was upstairs when I heard a loud crash. Upon investigation, boy did I find a mess. You see, our washer is aging just like the rest of us. It likes to dance around the room while working. All that excitement had our new jug of Tide go crashing to the floor and those plastic containers can break open. We had laundry detergent everywhere. You should have seen me try to clean up the mess, for the floor gets mighty slippery with all that soap. I was doing disco moves I hadn’t tried since the 70’s. My yoga instructor would surely have a special name for some of my positions. It’s sad when cleaning up a mess is the major attraction for the day.

I wrote yesterday about compiling a “bucket list” for those of us over 29 (or 49). There are multiple computer sites describing events and activities for families to do during these summer months that take little money and resources. Some of them would be fine for Bob and I to do without kidnapping any youngsters from the street, but I think all that commotion would be too much for us. We have done some of these things, want to do some others and probably won’t accomplish the rest. I want to give you a few such items each day for about a week. Wish me luck.

1  Go for a long walk around the neighborhood, probably after dinner. Make the effort to greet neighbors. We actually make some new friendships, plus had the good opportunity to comfort strangers of my sobriety when walking. I’ve seen a lot of relief this past month from people comforted that I hadn’t consumed a couple of bottles of wine before 8:00 AM.

2. Take some goodies to the local police or fire department. You can use your baking skills or buy them fresh from your local grocer. I do the latter for two main reasons. First of all, they don’t have to worry that some psycho put weird things into the batter. Secondly, the fire department will not have to make a trip to my home in case a couple of trays get too crispy.

3. Buy some frozen juice things for neighborhood kids. The two little ones next door even know where I keep them stashed in the freezer. It’s fun to see their excitement.

4. Try to catch a jarful of lightning bugs just like you did when you were a kid. Your antics will amuse your spouse and any neighbors watching, plus the activity can count as exercise for the day, or maybe month.

5. Read some classic book that missed you as a child. Gone with the Wind or Uncle Tom’s Cabin would be great starters. Avoid Moby Dick! I disliked Ishmael for a whole semester my junior year of high school. I actually downloaded War and Peace on my Kindle. We’ll see.

Well, there is the first five for my suggested activities. Stay tuned tomorrow for other goodies.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good
         - The neighborhood is amused at your antics when trying any of the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment