Friday, January 14, 2011

Wait, Wait and Wait Some More

I had no scheduled appointments or tests today. Since cereal was staying down, I decided to show my courage and still head over to Mayo. Staff told me on Wednesday that I could try to get earlier appointments since I had a gap in my schedule. That way, I might get home to Einstein sooner than expected. Patients just go to the desired department and place their name on a waiting list. If there is any additional time or patients do not show up, there is a chance you might get called. You can’t leave the spaces surrounding the desk though or you lose you spot in line. The waiting areas are beautiful, so why not? Bob was really feeling cruddy today, so off I headed.

I informed the staff on Floor 12 – West Desk that I was ready to hang out with them for the day. I got good vibes going in because at the time, the children’s TV had on Handy Manny, one of Teddy’s favorites. So down I plopped, ready to wait.

So I waited. And waited. And waited some more. I felt that I should be on a maternity floor instead of the psychology department. I waited some more. It was warm where I was sitting, so I changed seats. Then I waited. And waited some more.

By now, I was used to seeing some of the same patients and their family members. I could recognize the 26 year old from Nebraska, the cancer patient from Northern Minnesota and a high school girl from Iowa suffering from grand mal seizures. Somehow, a bond is sewn and a close kinship is woven while waiting. People found out I had vertigo (I wonder how they figured that out), had a hubby with a sprained ankle, Naval officer son-in-law serving on a sub, clever daughter, spoiled dog and the two most fabulous grandsons in the whole world. (Did you know I was a grandma?)

Mayo has worked hard to create serene waiting areas. There are comfortable chairs in cozy groups, lots of paperbacks and magazines, educational movies, fantastic artwork and more. Scattered throughout the rooms are jigsaw puzzles on round tabletops. You can check out music. Books with various puzzles are readily accessible.

I smiled as I listened to a gray haired gent working a crossword puzzle with his daughter while his wife was receiving treatment. I was impressed by his quick recall of words that would fit perfectly in each space. His daughter praised his skill and a quiet tear slowly crept down his cheek. “I never was any good at these darn things. Your mama has just been here too long. You start to hear the same clues after awhile.”

Two middle-aged parents quietly sat across from me, sharing a complimentary newspaper. Their eyes just glanced over pages, never really focusing on the printed words. Hours later, a pale daughter joined them. She had become a new comrade of mine, often-sharing bathroom floors. I’ve noticed that each day, she has less hair framing her thin face. I passed on a magazine given to me by a mom from Kansas.

Then there was the cutest three-year old girl with an 11-month old brother. Dad tried to keep them off the floor and within 32 miles while waiting for Mom. Other patients took turns chasing their energetic bodies. I gathered one on my lap for story time about Elmo visiting a friend with cancer. I don’t think she noticed the lump in my throat as I read certain pages.

Many people read books or use various e-reading devices. We compare Kindle with IPads, passing technology hand to hand. Bob made a friend who was eating popcorn. She quickly informed him of the closest spot to get this tasty treat. A woman in the corner quietly sleeps. As her magazine slides to the floor, a teenager walking by places it by her side. She keeps talking to her friend, not missing a beat in the conversation. I help a high school student with some algebra homework. (Judy, you would be proud that I could still find the value of y!) Then there are the crafty people who knit, sew, embroider and sketch. People “aah” and “oooh” over their work. (I’m the aaher, not the crafter. I do start people pondering about who says “oooh”, “aaah” or “that’s beautiful.” We start guessing responses and laugh at our accuracy.) Laptop games are popular. That darn hubby of mine is ahead of me by one single point in Word Twist. I’ve got to catch him. (I’m not too competitive am I? It’s just a coincidence that I start up a conversation when I see his score quickly climbing!)

So we wait. People of all sizes, ages and nationalities wait together. We have become a sacred community. The silent support and quiet prayers interrupt the “tick, tick, tick” of the clock. Although never formally introduced, we’ve built a bond that won’t be taken for granted. Tonight, I will add new names to my prayers and I sense my name on lips across the city. You see, we waited together. And we will continue to wait as long as is needed.

Good night new friends. Godspeed.

The newest advantage of people with The Mighty Three (check earlier posts if this doesn’t make sense):

  • You make new friends while waiting in doctor offices (and sitting on washroom floors!)

No comments:

Post a Comment