Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dr. God

As many of you know, I have accumulated quite a collection of children’s books. I am drawn to them as I travel across the city, state or country. I look for books to describe people, places and personalities. I used to claim these volumes were to be used with my students, but I enjoy the writings just as much. This week, I purchased Dr. Jack: The Helping Dog. I admittedly cried as I read about this popular canine found throughout the halls of Mayo assisting the young and old alike.

Today, I was blessed to be able to worship nearby where my cousin serves as senior pastor. What a wonderful opportunity to see him utilize the many blessings given to him. His church is friendly and inviting, welcoming all in Christ’s name. I have never before been fortunate enough to see my cousin John “in action”. After today’s inspirational service, I pray that it will not be the last time. With multiple appointments scheduled in the future at Mayo, the likelihood continues to grow.

Many of you are starting to wonder why I depicted two very different topics. (For friends from our congregation, I won’t now lead these paragraphs into an analogy with Stephen Ministry. I may remind you of my beloved role as a grandmother though!)

Let’s return to the children’s book mentioned at the start. Dr. Jack, a miniature pinscher, performs multiple tasks throughout the halls of Mayo. He comforts seniors, loves children, and is available to “visit” at a moment’s notice. He loves to tell stories of the past while encouraging others to have hope for the future. He brings smiles to all but understands the tears of others. He loves to be quietly nearby but can keep up with the children in pediatrics. Dr. Jack believes in teamwork and supports the triune belief of Mayo. The serenity of art and nature helps patients feel better as Dr. Jack often reminds. He’ll talk with you IF you listen and provides hope to all he meets.

While contemplating how I could use today’s sermon, Dr. Jack came to mind. I became conscious of the similarity between Dr. Jack and “Dr. God”. You see, He also walks those Mayo halls ready to help anyone. He helps all ages of patients feel better as he works with entire families. You just need to ask, and He will be there. He knows the importance of teamwork. Through “Dr. God”, hope is revitalized. Nature’s creations plead to recognize the value of all. Just listen. He’s there.

The weekend accomplished what it was supposed to do. I head across the street tomorrow morning for new tests and more appointments. I feel revitalized! While waiting to be called, I’ll listen for the “clicky-clicky-clicky” noises of Dr. Jack in the hall while I also pause to hear the voice of Dr. God.

Today’s benefit of The Mighty Three:

  • Communion cups look really cool when you have vertigo. They catch the light of the sun as they spin in celebration.

1 comment:

  1. You are in my prayers, Janet!
    I am so glad Bob shared this with me. God is with you and we all are sending positive thoughts to you.
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete