Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Kind of Home Exercise

Thanks for the kind thoughts about our Mayo Mission. Lots of you sent words of encouragement via email but were chicken to make comments here on the blog page. (Now all the rest of you are laughing saying, “Sure Janet. People actually read your skewed thoughts?”)

Today was hardly as jam packed with amazing appointments and tantalizing tests. I did arrive at 7:45 AM all set for fun with a vestibular physical therapist. (I am really starting to cringe when I hear the “V word”.) Maybe I felt too cocky since a mini muffin was still safely sitting in the stomach after sixty minutes. The idea behind this session was to make me dizzy (easy) and then teach me ways to cope with that dizziness (not as easy). Instead of staying for my two-hour session, the PT strongly suggested that I needed to stop after a mere twenty minutes. He had also come to the educated decision that starting my dizziness was far easier than stopping it.

I left with my idea of aerobics and a home exercise program. My homework was to try to slowly turn my head to the sides until the vertigo worsened to moderate. Then stop. I need to try that four times per day. He said don’t be upset if this took months before I could slowly turn side to side five times.

After I visited one more Mayo restroom to check out the tile and porcelain goddess, I headed back to the hotel. We decided to change hotels to one that was directly on the subway/skyway. I then could walk underground in a heated walkway instead of a longer journey by shuttle or Bob. Despite the new snow, we made it safe and sound to a new hotel located just blocks from Mayo. I got to try out the comfort of our new beds for the rest of the day. (Boy, Bob didn’t know the exciting wife that he had chosen.)

Of course, he is not exactly a barrel of fun himself. His sprained ankle is still mighty swollen and despite his gruff exterior, he now agrees to wear a heavy coat when going out in that balmy Minnesota weather I described yesterday.

The best thing about today was my short excursion to the Mayo bookstore (conveniently located near a comfortable and clean restroom). When checking out, I had some fine motor problems removing my credit card from my wallet. Then, my signature more closely resembled what Ollie would write if he were standing next to me. Yet, the cashier took it in stride. She gently touched my hand, smiled and then asked me about my family. She was ready to stand and wait as long as I needed. A handsome young gent insured a wheelchair was handy IF I needed it. It was at a discreet distance, but nearby if necessary. They understood me. I was not this weird lady who couldn’t walk straight, but someone just wanting to purchase a book. I wore a green shirt, I was buying a book, and oh yeah, I had vertigo. What a blanket of calm gently wrapped around me! They understood!

Quite a difference from when my fabulous friend Dorie took me to the Container Store some months ago. The cashier was frightened that I was drunk and probably alarmed that my cart could careen off course. I laughed at the time. You have to learn to enjoy the moment, but that sense of peace was surely missing.

Well, as you can see, I’m thrilled with the strong patient belief system here at Mayo. The artwork and music is phenomenal. There is a strong sense of surrounding yourself with serene beauty to aid the healing process. (As long as I don’t look in the mirror, I’m fine!)

I’ve decided to end each blog entry with a benefit from having The Mighty Three. Yesterday’s positive was:

  • When you fall outside in balmy Minnesota, staff can easily locate you with your rosy cheeks.

Today please add:

  • Vestibular physical therapy exercises can make you look like an athlete in under a minute per day.

Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming. Happy exercising!

1 comment:

  1. Sending lots of love and warm thoughts your way. Hope the visit is worthwhile for you!
    -Stephie's Sari

    ReplyDelete