Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Nineteen More

The countdown begins. My first time at Mayo is quickly coming to a close. I highly recommend this facility to others, but I might suggest slightly warmer months. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be -15 degrees, and that doesn’t include the wind chill. Brrrrr. That’s just plain cold!

Yesterday and today were rather slow days. My body checked out my mattress yesterday. It finally said enough of this – sleep. So, I did. Today, we took turns pushing each other in a wheelchair. (The excitement continues!) I’ve mentioned the wonderful artwork throughout the Mayo complex. We checked out a recorder that allows a self-guided tour. Much of the work relates to people in pain, fighting obstacles, being isolated and encouraging others. You can sit down throughout the facilities and hear people at pianos. All of the musicians are patients, guests or volunteers. It’s fun to have others slow for a few minutes and slip into the soul of music. You can almost see any tension or stress slowly melt off tired shoulders.

Appointments were rearranged to allow us to depart a day early. I only have an 8:15 visit with some doctors who will give advise on possible medication changes. I had to ask for this appointment. Mayo does not want to step on any toes, but I would love to reduce the number of pills I’m forced to daily swallow. I have a Monday appointment with my pain doctor at home where I will take the suggestions to heart.

My other appointment is with the lucky doctor who was assigned my case. He has been studying all test results, will clarify any questions, state any concerns and then share all the news with Bob and I. I’ve read a great deal of the information that he has provided. It should be a very interesting meeting.

Then we head home, twenty-four hours earlier than we originally planned. But, where does that nineteen come from that is emphasized in today’s title. I have about nineteen hours left for this trip to Mayo. (I’ll be back in two months!) In one of the books suggested to me is a list of foods to be avoided. Wouldn’t you know that they are many of the things I adore? I have to say goodbye to foods made with yeast and caffeine. There won’t be any more processed foods, dairy products or many fruits. I’m determined to give it a try as I fight off these migraines and vertigo. BUT, I will fully adjust after I leave Rochester. That leaves me nineteen more hours to eat to my hearts delight. I just finished a yummy chocolate cupcake. That will be cancelled out later with yeast and chocolate.

So, I better start typing and get more of the stuffing underway. There probably won’t be another posting until Saturday. We want to head out after my doctor appointments. We’re curious what our house is like. The contractor said they would turn the water and heat back on when they leave. So join me in the next “19”. It’s time the eating begins.

The Mighty Three Advantage:

  • You get sympathy points when you show strangers the list of foods to avoid. Can you imagine no chocolate, caffeine or yeast? Be still my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment