Monday, January 17, 2011

The Dizzy Platinum

I’m feeling like I’m in somewhat of a routine here at Mayo. I got up and got dressed, had a hotel doughnut, then off I went via subway to my first appointment. I know the gal behind the desk on the 12th floor and almost feel like I should have brought a doughnut to share with her.

My time waiting and first two appointments were largely comprised of completing various questionnaires dealing with everything from my grandmother’s neighbor’s maiden name to the size of my high school graduating class. Silly me did the first 83 pages in blue ink before noticing the microscopic directions requiring black ink in order for the computer to quickly scan my responses.

It’s funny how computers really rule our lives. My second doctor took notes on his PC once he located the correct screen of my growing file. All of my doctor reports were already online. The reports from doctors that I submitted prior to coming could be easily seen with the push of a button, as long as you knew which button to push. I was ready for a jpeg of the underwear I wore last Thursday to be displayed next.

Toward the end of appointment number two, the doctor pushed back his chair and decided to talk. He was unsure about one of my medications, and he admitted it. (Shockers I know. How many doctors do you know who have a humble trait?) He got up and walked to the office of a peer to find out more about those colored capsules that have barraged my medicine cabinet. Despite the advantages of our technological era, Mayo seems to know when to turn from the computer and talk.

That’s one of the beauties of Mayo. They talk. PLUS, they listen. They also want to insure that there are others outside of city limits that will listen once I leave Rochester. (I brought up the topic of Stephen Ministers. The doctor’s parents are both Stephen Ministers in their congregation! Imagine!)

I’m blessed to have many people in that category. Friends and family are keeping track of Bob and I. They are even reading my goofy blog. Although many have noticed the length of these posts, some brave souls have suggested that I use my blogs and newsletter articles to write a book. Do any of you wonderful folks own a publishing company desperate for the thoughts of a “dizzy platinum”? (I admit that I can no longer be considered a dizzy blond.) I love the idea, but how in the world could my thoughts become a book? Can anyone help?

Since I still am a member of the Mighty Three and not recognized as an author, today’s Might Three advantage is:

  • With multiple doctors and a gift of gab, you find out interesting trivia from your doctors. My second doctor today grew up playing high school basketball against the same towns described on Little House on the Prairie. The comfort of sharing works both ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment