Sunday, July 15, 2012

Amen

It’s a hot, summer afternoon as the sun continues to shine and the clouds forget to rain. People have hunkered down in their homes as they use air conditioning to hide from the heat and humidity.

We had a guest pastor this morning as our usual minister has taken a well-deserved break. The sermon had several thought provoking points that I will let roll around in my hollow head. I like when he commented that when we gather at the table for communion, it prepares us to gather around all our other tables this week: boardroom, council, committee and kitchen. That’s a nice imagery that has escaped me up to now.

He also described the puzzling reminder about the 2000-year age of Christianity. To really think how many people still gather in worship after all these years. In that holy place, we even confess our sins, a unique thought in this day and age. Forgiveness is an often forgotten skill as people clamor to the top despite whom they step on during the climb. A few politicians have vainly attempted such a maneuver in front of microphones, as the forgiving wife stands mute in the background. Is he really asking for forgiveness?

I just got sent this web site: http://www.dogwork.com/prybrme8/
I think these pets pray far more than so many others in this world. Supposedly 80% of the United States say they pray. The big questions are when, where and why do they pray. Is it only a command to God for healing? Is it once a week at church? Is it a mechanical voice quickly uttering a memorized verse without any meaning? God really is pretty patient with us.

Hopefully, I provided a few things to think about today. Did you gather at the Lords table for communion? Does it have an impact on your day? Do you really ask for forgiveness? Is it from your heart?

More and more, I spend time talking to God. Although I am guilty of sometimes spitting out the memorized Lutheran mealtime blessing and night time Our Father. I also say both versions of "Now I lay me . . ." as my head hits the pillow. I like the idea sometimes of falling asleep while still talking to God. Do I really believe He heard my words? Did it make any difference with anything?

I am getting to like how the Mormon faith has NO memorized prayer. Instead, they pray what is in their minds and hearts. Does that really help to carry through their day?

So go spend some time with God and thank Him for a life that is good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
        - I have lots of extra time to talk to God through prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment