Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Band-Aid with Feelings

I am surprised that I have not been adding to my blog as frequently as I had originally planned in my rattled little head. I feel part of the difficulty lies in determining my purpose. That sounds like music should suddenly boom from your computer as I lumber off into the sunset. This blog had been written in the attempts to inform people what life with chronic pain is all about. I also wanted to tell others about the care provided at Mayo. I have used it as a short devotional approach, particularly over the Advent season. I like to add a bit of humor because that is my personality and I don’t want to be boring. I am many things, but few people can splat me with the adjective of boring. Deciding on my humor is tough though because I have been scolded for using humor aimed at myself, particularly about my less than svelte form, yet that larger silhouette is such an easy target to hit. I would love to hear your feedback. If commenting is not your cup of tea, which is apparently pretty true since I get NO comments, jot me an email. Help me!

The weather has been ridiculously hot. Summer storms have knocked out the electricity in many homes with huge trees falling over power lines. We were blessed with our new generator; yes that generator that I complained about just a couple of weeks ago. Just ignore my words on that post. My hubby was actually right and I already humbled myself and told him so. I just didn’t use a very loud voice, but it should be considered louder than a whisper. It’s not my fault that the washer is so loud.

Our pastor had a wonderful sermon and children’s sermon this past Sunday. It speaks of my maturity level that I gain so much that is aimed primarily at the kids. Everybody worshipping that day received a band-aid. We were to immediately put it on our hand despite the possibility of wrappers all over the place. Whenever we spotted that bandage, we were to say a special prayer. Some members of the congregation printed a name on their new band-aid. That visual provided that reminder to continuously pray for someone in particular. I still have my band-aid on my finger and it has worked by focusing my thoughts on God. A really wonderful part of this idea was that the kids from the children’s sermon were the people who passed out band-aids to all. Nothing like a small smiling face filled with pride to remind me to turn to God with my prayers.

Another wonderful part of Pastor Hellstedt’s sermon was a neat slogan to remember during our talks with God. I don’t remember the person who created this suggestion, but one must “Pray Your Feelings”. I realized that I am quick to tell God He is fabulous and thank Him for my blessings (like that new home generator). I give umpteen supplications. My list of prayers aimed at assisting others increases faster than active bunnies. I talk to God about my difficulties. I even have improved asking for God’s will to be done rather than mine, but stating my actual feelings have been obsolete.  When Bob and I were in Marriage Encounter, we learned an integral part of good communication is to emphasize our feelings rather than our spouse’s actions. That comes down to eliminating stuff like “Darn it, Bob. If I have to pick up your socks one more time . . .” A better approach might be “I feel frustrated when I see . . .” If that advice works to ease miscommunication with my sweet hubby, it surely works with God too. Try it! It has been great guidance for me and even makes me figure out my feelings better. Hey, maybe that’s what God is going for.

Enjoy your Fourth of July activities. May you all find cool shade, a nice breeze or an escape to air-conditioning. As you gather those deviled eggs and hamburger buns, pick up a band-aid or two. We might be starting a whole new social trend. Talk to God about your feelings. Explain that nervousness, shame or glee. Then watch those fireworks with lots of ooohs and ahhhhs. Don’t be a fuddy duddy and observe that sky without any enthusiasm because God has provided a life that is very good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good
       -    Handicapped parking helps us sneak into great spots to watch the sky. Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment