Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Humor at Every Turn

During the last few months, I haven’t placed any of my blogs on Good Morning Girls. In past studies, I have hurried to finish my writings so my thoughts could be among women who write on a regular basis AND have countless people daily reading their words. (Pause here so you can feel that sense of wonder. Maybe even quietly and slowly whisper “Wow!”) I have been shocked to see comments from women from countries literally throughout the world. It was more than a pride issue even though I did sit a little taller when typing at the computer. It was a sense of awe that I was part of a bigger picture in which countless women pause to read the same Bible verses that morning as I. I was humbled to be a tiny piece of that whole picture. Wow! Life IS good.

Yet these past months, I have continued to blog but with diminished frequency and different topics. My thoughts, rare as they may be, have not included these Bible readings because I personally was unsure of how to add them. I knew that the majority of my group worried about such a conservative point of view while reading a preponderance of posts. Emails from Good Morning Girls keep coming at rates that flood my virtual mailbox. This increased volume is a new feature that highlights my failure to focus on this study. Although Proverbs 31 declares the path to become a good wife, feelings of hurt and depression blanket too many of my friends without a ring on their left hands.

Last night, I’ve challenged myself to share my thoughts despite the difficulties briefly described in the above paragraph and thank you God, the words from today’s verses bounced off the page right at me. The pronoun in this verse can even be switched to “he” for God’s talking to everyone here. God really is a remarkable guy. One of the verses says,

                        She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh
                        at the days to come.                                    Proverbs 31:25

These are some of the traits for which I have yearned for a long time. How in the world can I have dignity when my steps, due to my vertigo, have me bouncing off the trees as I stumble down the block? When feeling cruddy, my little grandson (yep, I’m a grandma) has more fortitude and tenacity than I. I don’t see strength or dignity hanging anywhere near my house.

Yet I stop to continue to read this verse. “She can laugh at the days to come.” Now here is a trait to which I cling:  humor. Where would I be without giggling at some of our predicaments? How many other couples can support each other when one is drooping and the other pirouetting down their paths? Don’t get me wrong for I can throw my share of pity parties, but the end results are actual guffaws when we both lay splattered on the floor with our dog Einstein joining in the ruckus. Then I back up, or spin 180O, to notice that there is a different kind of strength in my movements. I’m still rocking and rolling after three years of dizziness and I’ve got my share of bruises to prove it, but I straighten back up with a presumed dignity that I could never possess without the grace of God.

My stumbles now are fewer, but I do know this verse for I have tried my durndest to not let others feel discouraged and distraught about their chronic pain. I have written these posts so heads all over can pivot up to the heavens to declare, “I hear you God. With you, I can muster up the power to get back up.” Now I don’t exactly pop right up and walk the straight and narrow. My path still meanders along the way, but if I stop to giggle with friends, new and old, the route looks a whole lot straighter. I have found my own version of strength and dignity. Thanks God for life is good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good
-       When I stop bellyaching about my troubles, I can find a special strength and dignity. Thanks God! Life is really good!

Take time to check out www.goodmorninggirls.org for more viewpoints about these verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment