Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Prudent Tongue

In my current Bible Study with Good Morning Girls, warnings have burst from verses telling of the power of our words. Utterances can be either good or evil, their power is still the same. We all know of instances when friendships have been destroyed because the tongue worked faster than the heart. We have been the person whispering the words or the subject of the gossip. How can it be so hard to keep the tongue from wagging.

My yoga instructor recently heard at a conference the acronym WAIT: Why Am I Talking. In her case it is meant for the yoga instructor, but this advice has far grander uses. So often I leave my home with a conviction that only positive words would flow out of my mouth. That works until I am 2 minutes on my way. Unrequested critiques just bounce right out of my lips. I hear some juicy gossip and there is a primal need to join in on the discussion. “Look what she has the audacity to wear,” comes from my wisdom gained on What Not to Wear. “She’s really gaining weight. You wouldn’t believe it.” I say that when my own scale screams numbers far more than healthy. “She thinks she is so darn special!” I must be “specialer” to make that judgement. Where do these words come from?

Proverbs 10:9b matter of factly states, “the prudent holds their tongues.” Obviously I can scratch “prudent” from my list of personal characteristics. Besides, today’s society doesn’t reward those who are discreet or sober. This term is dated, used more in my great grandmothers day as hooped skirts filled the hall. What’s really the big deal now?

Political parties throw negative claims at the other candidate, but we should somehow be better than the people we choose to lead us. Hmm. That’s something too true to really ponder. They proudly declare it will be a positive campaign until they take three steps from that podium or television microphone. We ask for forgiveness in church, but are hardly out in the narthex before hurtful thoughts stream through our brains.

The Bible has had lots to say to me lately as I read verses throughout the Old and New Testaments. Now I just need to follow through on these time honored verses. Wish me luck.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good
-       I have lots of time to open my Bible and then open my heart.

References are for www.Goodmorninggirls.org. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment