Wednesday, March 14, 2012

This Little Light of Mine

This past week in Ephesians has been pretty basic as a laundry list of some of the big no-no’s. None of them have been any surprise. Follow Paul’s decrees if you want any inheritance from God. Make sure to avoid the biggies like immorality and impurity. That sounds pretty easy. However on two different days, I was busted. No greed! Gulp!

I’ve written before about the greed that overcomes me with ease. The words, “I need that” just slip out so easily. The majority of these items are just monetary “stuff” that would only further be crammed into my closets and drawers. I see some new stamping stuff and my drool becomes pretty evident. Beware of either Bob or I in a saltwater store because we “have to have” that shiny coral or colorful fish. Remarks of being God’s creation are just plain hogwash. I just plain want stuff. Stephanie has been showing me all the newest in the line of 31 products. I “must” have these purses as a support a show of support to my daughter. WRONG – it’s my greed.

Today we are told to be the light and expose the darkness. I read the neatest book that reminds me of this very description. The book is Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent. I won’t go in lots of details, but the young heroine is told by her dad to become like a firefly in December. Now a firefly is a pretty ordinary thing of no great value. They aren’t like the huge Hollywood lights beckoning all to come. They just kind of flit around, yet once it gets dark, their light is so obvious. Put a few of them together, and woo-hoo, you’ve got quite the light show. Now there aren’t a heck of a lot of them come December, even this past December when it was pretty warm, but that doesn’t matter. We are still to be those very fireflies. Alone or in a group, we must shine of God’s love.

I treasured that analogy and have imprinted that image in my old muddled brain. It makes sense to me as it reminisces just like that old song This Little Light of Mine. I like the newest metaphors of this whole idea. Now I just need to try to shake off that greed and shine my little light. Together, we can change the world. Life is good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good
-       With time off work now because of disability, I have lots more time to read great books and lots less green for my greed.

These devotions are part of the Good Morning Girls readings. Check it out at www.goodmorninggirls.org

No comments:

Post a Comment