Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pull Out that Plastic

It was a nice day as Bob and I staggered through a beautiful spring day. We went to church this morning and then spent the majority of the day at a conference for marine aquarists. It was great. Just think, I’m a marine aquarist. In other words, there were tons of sponsors selling a variety of goodies for all sorts of aquarium needs or greeds. There were fish, and lights, and lots of different corals. Bob and I even managed to help the economy a wee bit. We have lots of new corals to show off to friends.

It’s funny how so many different hobbies tend to teach greed without even trying. I heard lots of “Oh, I need that!” We teach little ones the difference between needs and wants but fail to learn that same concept. I’ve had this disease with a variety of my interests. I need those stamps and ink pads. It could be severely detrimental to my health if I don’t obtain enough. I’ve been downright drooling over a variety of meditation supplies. Get this – I HAD to order a zafu and zabutten.

Bob also gets such an affliction. I gave him a scroll saw for Christmas and oh my gosh, he now NEEDS every woodworking item that has even been conceived in the last 92 years. His one saltwater tank managed to blossom to five tanks with dreams of that increasing soon. His closest friends are still waiting for him to open up his own tackle shop in order for us to be able to squeeze through our basement. 

I’m sure we’re not the only ones to succumb to this condition. My time on disability has increased this severe urge since I am spending even more time at home. However, my checkbook reminds me that I need to more closely examine my purchases. If I would like to maintain simple things like keeping a roof over my head and food in the refrig, I better watch out for this whole greed thing. I need to keep my addictions in check so I can continue to brag that life is good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good: 
       -  Being on disability makes me reexamine my priorities when using that plastic, rectangular credit card.

No comments:

Post a Comment