Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It's a Girl (almost)

I got to go to a wonderful baby shower this weekend for the wife of a nephew. The thrill and excitement of becoming parents was clear just by gazing at either of the two. You could see the love for each other, but there was something so much more there. Their lucky child now has enough clothes to change outfits three times per day until she is forty-eight. All the other prerequisites for a complete nursery now sit piled in boxes in their dining room.

I was able to visit with both of my sisters, as we wanted to assist the parents-to-be. It was nice to sit and ramble for a few short hours in an afternoon. The journey to Iowa is just three hours, but took more out of our bodies than I at first realized. I so much wanted to look like a “normal” aunt that I remained seated as long as I could with my stimulator turned to high. My hubby and I stayed the night, conversing with others through pleasant reminiscent thoughts. My sister and nephew even carried a mattress downstairs so my husband would not have to attempt the stairs. Lights were out by 9:30, and our tired bodies slowly sank into our soft mattress.

We gathered our belongings the next morning and hit the road for Chicagoland. This trip took a wee bit longer as our bodies both requested times to stretch and refresh. Einstein for overly happy to see us, providing welcome home kisses to our exhausted bones. I was in bed by 4:00 PM, assumedly for a short nap but remained there until 9:00 the next day. My bones and muscles had had enough and my feeble brain seemed somewhere missing for action. I was much better after my long snooze and feel very grateful that my life allows these special trips with the recovery that follows.

Without disability, I would have had to make the journey in one day, continuously rushing to the next appointment. I would have missed a trip to the “shed” and a quick peek at the new nursery. The strong love and devotion to God and family envelopes one as you are surrounded by relatives when you relax in her home. Tales of fabulous grandchildren outweighed fishing trips by far. I would have missed all that if I needed a rush home.

I can’t imagine making the short trip in one day. My disability status allowed more talk around the kitchen table, the best place to gather at any get-together. Conversations about the miracles of grandkids were strong since you were dealing with two of the proudest grandma’s around. I could feel God’s blanket of love as time with family was extended. Thanks God for a fabulous trip. Life is good.

God Proves that Life is Good by Looking at My Chronic Pain
      -  Trips to see family get to be extended. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment