Friday, March 9, 2012

Fishin' or Fashion

Last night, we were able to attend a local style show. Our presence was not because Bob was attempting to become trendy. Instead, it was to show our support to a young woman we have been blessed to know since childhood. She was just completing a course on event planning and was required to come up with a show in just nine weeks with a hopeful gain of $12,000, quite a heft sum.

By supporting Lauren, we were supporting not only her but also a wonderful non-profit organization. Guess what, this in turn then supported women and their children who come from a home of domestic violence. What a wonderful way to support people in need.

We saw quite a few people we knew. Our church friends were definitely in attendance as well as Lauren’s mom, sister and grandmother. It’s always a family affair with their loving bonds. Lauren is blessed with many people who love and care for her. Quite a few of those individuals were able to make a physical sign of that support by purchasing a ticket to the fashion show.

My husband is quite the goof. I was surprised when he agreed, somewhat slowly but agreed nonetheless, to go to the fashion show. I did not really expect his presence. He later declared that he thought it was a “fishin’ show” instead of a “fashion show.”  That’s Bob!

I was also able to see an art teacher from the school that I recently left. She was the one to come up to me and greet me with a great hug. That show of compassion and support did much to lift my spirits. It was a physical example of someone from my past showing that they still cared about me, a feeling that escapes me most of the time. What an added bonus to an otherwise pleasant evening.

It feels good to support others, and it feels marvelous to feel support returned or even better, offered on its own. Sometimes I feel as if I am unable to extend support to others, but I neglect to remember the power of a small card offered in thanksgiving. So I encourage all of you to go support someone. It can be a phone call, a token gift or a ticket to a special event.  Besides helping the individual, it will bounce back and support you. What a pleasant glow showing that life is good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
      -  I’m willing to pass the green and go to a place with loud, modern music to support a dear friend. It ended up I got my own unexpected support. Thanks Dawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment