Thursday, October 13, 2011

What To Do List?

Blogs are difficult sometimes for they force a confrontation on reality. As I sit on the couch with Einstein squeezed at my side, I find the computer keys causing ripples of pain down my arms at each keystroke. I review my day to discover my greatest accomplishment is getting dressed and making it to an appointment with my pain doctor that enables me to acquire additional pain pills. That could hardly be classified as an event worthy of noting. I also made it my Golden Sneakers yoga where nobody is within twenty years of my age. The senior slow stretches are easier allowing yogis (I like that term) to remain seated for the duration of the class. Unfortunately, I was unable to even meet that criteria since merely rotating my head allowed my vertigo to come crashing down on my overweight body. Let me just say that the tiled floor at the Y is somewhat boring but possibly now possesses a cute dimple. With help, I made it home where my bed provided a welcome release from my pain.

I’m about to try to convince my valiant dog to courageously step out the door since any attempt to carry him would be suitable for a fall sitcom replacement. I’ve been contemplating that maneuver for close to an hour for I dread the humiliation about to confront the two of us. My nightly shower is currently pending following the results of my escapades with my pooch. My mantra tonight is “the fence will be worth it, the fence will be worth it, please God, the fence will be worth it” as I see determination growing in my dog’s form while I remain seated on the couch.

These words are cathartic, allowing a release of frustration and anguish. I reflect on my growing lack of accomplishments and grieve over my loss of skills. I would love to enjoy our hot tub, but too many obstacles block that endeavor. The requirements of going upstairs, changing into a suit, and heading outside are nothing compared to my Olive Oyl strength regarding the removal of the hot tub’s cover.

I worry that I’ll be unable to cross off anything on my To Do List tomorrow if my frame is still knotted and sore. I dream of making cards, a crafting hobby of the past, since my hands shake too badly to stamp a message or fold the paper. The basement still holds boxes from the restoration crew bulging with items for review. I’m grateful for my virtual Bible study since the reading is minimal, and I don’t need to leave the comfort of my home.

Well, I better make my move. The painkillers loom nearby which I will need once again to feel any comfort in my bed. Yet, I glance around me (very slowly mind you so my vertigo won’t escalate) and see the many blessings in my life. One look at the grins of my two beloved grandsons significantly reduces the pain meter. Our many fish slowly drift through the darkened tanks bringing a sense of calm to my frazzled mind. The looks from Einstein, previously worried about waving flags and zapping sensations, are full of concern over me. He patiently waits, well kind of patiently waits, for my next movements. Will he be forced to endure that zapping yard or to watch me ride upstairs far away from those darn flags?

So goodnight to you all or maybe good morning or afternoon. Wish me luck standing up. Be glad I haven’t attached a video.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Show that Life is Good:
     -  It makes great material for this weird blog I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment