Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lady of Leisure

I’m supposedly a “lady of leisure” now as Bob headed off for four days of fishing with his best buddy. He gets to eat and drink what he wants PLUS wear old wrinkled t-shirts with stains. He finds God’s peace out on the lake and can truly relax while feeding off the beauty of this autumn season. Life is good.

That leaves me here with the sissy dog. Einstein is beyond timid about going outside and must be coaxed to even step on the grass as he struggles to understand all the flags depicting a hidden fence. He can be pretty stubborn when he so desires. There are bound to be times when my patience is less than his fear. Then I can really shout out the command “Watch out!” with a whole new meaning. Anyone is invited over to see my efforts at persuading a stubborn dog.

The leaves have provided an art show extraordinaire with the colors showing off God’s talent. A paintbrush has dropped on the tops of a quite a few treetops while others have astounding golden coats. I love this time of year. You can almost sense God’s presence with each glimpse of proud oaks and maples. Life is good.

I just read a devotion that made me ponder at the viewpoint. It stated that the fall colors are to remind us of the beauty that coincides with death. Each leaf will gradually drop quietly to the ground or be whisked off to places beyond. The leaves die and new ones will take their places very soon. The leaves return to the soil much similar to “ashes to ashes” and wait for the triumph of new life.

The breeze is less today allowing the leaves to slowly settle. I’m thrilled for the lack of wind allows me to walk upright. Yesterday, I could see the neighbor behind us at her kitchen sink while I struggled to get in the house. Each time I thought I would have success, my lack of balance knocked me down. Several times I performed less than ideal somersaults as my vertigo tricked my body. It surely was a Kodak moment as my tush rolled down a small hill and settled in some of the many flags representing the hidden fence’s boundary. I completed these gymnastic feats multiple times before Bob finally heard my calls for assistance. The delay was partially my fault. He had taken a shaking dog into the house, and thought I was following after. I knew I needed his help but didn’t want to draw further attention to my plight as neighbors roamed into open spaces enjoying the warm evening. It was amusing as long as you were not a reluctant participant. I dare any of you to try a few backward rolls while your loved one snaps photos for Facebook. It might go viral if the right video is finally posted on YouTube.

I’m vertical today, a reason to celebrate for sure. I’m catching up on reading Getting to the Heart of Interfaith, a thoughtful model of increased hope and respect among Jews, Christians and Muslims. The monthly meeting of WISP, Women in Search of Peace, is next week. There is such a wealth of cultural heritage shared among us. Just another example of how life is good.

Manner God Uses Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
     - While maneuvering a forward roll, I gain new perspectives of God’s creation and secretly amuse many a neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment