Sunday, April 22, 2012

Curled Claws

Over Easter, my daughter placed on Facebook a fun picture of the manicures we had given ourselves. Supposedly it is one of the newest trends. We took special stickers, cut them to shape, heated them with a blow dryer and heated them on our nails. My nails now are in bright hues of turquoise, gold and magenta, a far cry from my usual pale pink. Let me tell you that a blow dryer gets mighty hot when held in place on your hands or feet. We had lots of fun and it was a great memory from our week out East.

When I glance at the photo, I’m immediately wondering who substituted the hands. I know my hands have aged, but when placed with Stephanie’s on top – Oh My Goodness! Even with the youthful nails, my hands are wrinkled, pudgy and bent. Each line shows a different season of my life and apparently, I’ve had a whole lot of seasons. The skin is splotchy and just plain not the hands of someone currently living on the planet Earth.

I’ve gradually noticed the increased aches in my fingers. It’s tough to move them around. They also lack much strength. Throughout the day, you can hear the many crashes that prove that statement. What’s really new though is their form, for my hands have curled. It’s difficult to straighten them out. Plus, touch them and notice the freezing temperature now a regular part of my phalanges.

Bob tried to warm them last night as once I again I complained about the cold pain that resides within my fingers. He made a sort of sandwich, that’s my hubby, always into the food one way or the other. He placed one of my hands between his two trying to bring warmth and comfort. Instead, the pain increased for I have difficulty straightening up the fingers. When did this occurrence happen? It is almost impossible for my hands to lie flat on a table. (Maybe they just need more chocolate!)

I figured that although there are a few drawbacks to curled claws at the ends of my arms, there are also many advantages. My fingers are now in the correct form whenever I am busy keyboarding at the computer. I can scoop up a perfect handful of M & M’s. If my doctor ever allows it, they would be great for swimming. They’re perfect for pull-ups, it’s just the rest of the body that can’t get up off the floor. My hands also fit around the credit cards very nicely. Best of all, they have been carved to hold the little hands of two very special grandsons. For that, thank you God. Life is good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good
       -  My hands can grab hold of the chubby hands of my grandsons. What a spectacular feeling to have them so near at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment