Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Connecticut Crew

We have made it home safe and sound. I already miss the rumble of running feet. I can’t believe that I haven’t read 10 Apples Up on Top yet today since I have been home almost 20 hours. I feel so blessed getting the opportunity to see my family.

While in Connecticut, we were fortunate to get to see the maiden voyage of my son-in-law’s submarine. He has spent countless hours in preparing for this event. Building a submarine for the US Navy is no easy feat. His dedication, intelligence and patriotism radiates around him. Very few people get to ever watch a submarine leave the dock to head for deep seas. While talking with Chris, you could hear his pride when he made it home after the boat’s first run. He’s out again now doing further testing. I love you Chris and am blessed to have you as part of the family. Being a Cub fan sure helped!

My eldest grandson is Teddy, a bundle of joy. I never realized a tenth of the love I would feel for this little generation. He came into “my bedroom” each morning with greetings of “Good Morning Sunshine.” I hadn’t seen him since December so you can imagine the changes in this wonderful guy. His creativity has skyrocketed. When we first arrived at the airport, Teddy came running up to me with outstretched arms. That alone was worth the trip. I’ve written about our special Maundy Thursday service that has been forever etched in my heart. On the way to the airport, he asked if I remembered that Jesus had died for me. He firmly reminded me to not forget this important key event at the heart of Christianity.

Ollie is two years old, about exactly two years younger than his brother. At first his speech was slightly delayed, so he received speech services. Recent testing has shown that he has outgrown that need. Let me tell you, he surely talks now. At first his words seem garbled, but after listening a day or two, you quickly catch on. This little guy is a climber who is sure to add gray hairs to my daughter. His exuberance has already caused a trip or two to the emergency room, and I’m sure these visits will be repeated. To look at his huge smile explode over his face provides me with all of the pain medication that I need.

Then there is my tremendous daughter, Stephanie. She fears her popularity with me has dropped since she provided me with grandchildren, but she is far from correct. I’m in awe of the many things she does as a wife and mother. Their family is based on God so multiple key Bible verses can be seen taped on walls throughout her home. Both of the little ones knew more about Easter than many adults filling the pews this past Sunday. Stephanie and I gave ourselves fancy manicures and pedicures with these sticker things. I’m surprised that my nails look so nice after our laughter interrupted our own spa treatments. My heart is swelling much like that Christmas Grinch. Stephanie always takes time out of her busy schedule to call and chat about anything and everything. Somehow, when I wasn’t paying attention, she has grown from being a daughter to also being a role model and a friend. I love her dearly.

So you can see why I’m missing that bunch. I’m thrilled that being off work allows me the freedom to go spend a random week out in Connecticut. Life is good.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
         - I got through giving longer bath times to my grandsons since I now have my new neurostimulator. How fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment