Thursday, April 5, 2012

I am Humbled!

I’m humbled. Life is so very good. I am blessed.

We are out in Connecticut to share this Holy Week with my daughter’s family. I’m in continued awe of the love she has instilled in her two sons. I learn more each day.

Today is Maundy Thursday. Now “maundy” is kind of a weird word sounding almost as if it is another one of those words that I made up, but this one actually means “commandment.”  Jesus gave us one more commandment in his last hours on earth, so you know it must be a good one. We were told to “love one another as he loved us.” Gulp! He left us with a toughie for that love goes to everybody, not just two adorable grandsons.

This evening, in many churches throughout the world, some members probably washed each other’s feet just like Jesus washed the feet of his disciples. That whole idea is wonderful, but I have never been part of this reenactment. I have ugly feet that are just fine remaining in my shoes. I’ve only seen this done with the pastor and one member of the congregation any way. Stephanie’s church went way farther and asked anyone who wanted to join in the feet washing to please come up by the alter. One by one, their feet would be washed and then they in turn would wash the next person’s feet. The last person in line would wash those of the pastor so a complete cycle would be made.

Now my feet are gross having long ago reached the category of Old Person’s Feet with thick toe nails and dry skin galore. For a change, my tootsies had polish but to show them off to a stranger was pushing it past the comfort level. Teddy had another idea and asked if I would go forward with him. What is a grandma to say? Off came off my shoes and socks, my pants were rolled up and I trudged up the center aisle with a devoted four year old.

I kept waiting for others to join in behind me, but our tootsie unveiling and organization took too long, Teddy and I were at the end. Our turn came and we quietly went in front of the altar and began. I placed one foot in the tub and lifted Teddy in front of me so both of his feet were now in the water. A high school girl washed our feet, dried them with a towel, and now it was up to Teddy and I to wash those of the pastor. All eyes were on us.

I crouched down next to my kneeling grandson as the pastor placed his feet inside the tub. I quietly whispered each step to Teddy. We slowly took it a step at a time while a hush blanketed the congregation. A gentle hymn played in the background while every eye was on us. I looked up at the pastor and saw this look of awe on his face. After the job was complete, we stood and were embraced by the arms of the pastor. His next words to the congregation explained how this tradition had all new meaning for him tonight. He had never experienced his feet washed by two generations, let alone by the loving hands of a four year-old. No one would expect a young child to wash one’s feet, but it was done this night. You could feel the love of Jesus blanket the congregation and topped with the words of his new commandment. “Love one another as he loved us.”

I’ll leave the descriptions of the nighttime devotions until a later date for I’ve done a good job rambling on as I retold this story. I hope you can get a sense of the miracle felt by this congregation on this Maundy Thursday. Who better to show God’s love than by the love of a child?

Earlier in the service, Teddy was in tears. It wasn’t done in misbehavior or a bonked head or a little brother. He explained his tears because he was so sad that people would hurt Jesus. Gulp! Teddy understood the purpose of this Lent better than any other person gathered this holy night in worship. He then washed the Pastor’s feet. Oh thank you God! I so much better understand this new commandment! Oh thank you Stephanie for allowing me to partake in this special miracle. It is so deeply etched in my heart.

I pray you readers can imagine my evening and glimpse into my week here in Connecticut. I am humbled! A four year-old knew better than a grandma, no matter her countless hours spent in worship. This was not a night for a “Nanny” to teach a toddler, but instead for him to bear witness.

“Love one another as he loved us.” I am humbled. Life is good!

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good
      -  I am humbled! Thank you God for letting me be off work so I could come learn from my grandson.I finally really get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment