Sunday, January 1, 2012

Can We Just Order a Pizza?

How I treasure time like this when I can sit and be enthralled with the serenity that fills our family room during these twelve days of Christmas. We cherish our decorations that shout the birth of Jesus as we almost whisper when entering our family room aghast at the feeling of serenity in the simplicity of these four walls. How I wish I could capture this sense of peace and lavishly use it throughout the year!

We gathered at my husband’s brother’s home today to issue in the new year according to Japanese traditions. Today is called Syogatsu just in case you were keeping track and is probably the most important holiday for the Japanese.  This is the one-day when my hubby transforms all his eating to more cultural items. I remember the first year that I joined his family and met a plethora of new smells and dishes. I recognized nothing! Now I was one who didn’t even like fish, so you can imagine my facial expressions when presented with raw tuna, salmon and countless other items I couldn’t recognize let alone pronounce. My eyes were fixed upon octopus tentacles and fish heads. Yummy!

It’s so comforting for Bob to have this day with his brothers and rediscover a sense of unity and pride. He needs these bonds to help guide him through his newest path in life as a person who makes more than the national average of doctor visits. I’ve always been the optimist of the family just in case you didn’t notice. Unfortunately, Bob is stepping farther and farther from any rose colored glasses. Let me give you an example.

Two days ago, we made a trip to the ER concerned about Bob’s gross looking leg. We found out that it was cellulitis thus requiring antibiotics. A close watch was needed to insure the bumps did not continue to progress up his leg. (When you are short like my husband that is not a far trip.) When we got home, Bob explained his ordeal on Facebook with a “Why me Lord?” attitude that described his “worst case scenario.” Meanwhile, I joked about out last trip for the year, the helpful medical staff and the passed out hubby gracefully sprawled on our couch. It really didn’t sound like the same experience.

I make every effort to have that positive outlook with me each day. Sure I grumble about work to be done and bills to be paid, but I sure look cute doing it. I know that I don’t choose my pain, but I do choose my attitude so why in the tarnation would I pick to be a bigger grouch than what I already am. Gracious! With this stellar body, I surely better laugh. My creaky joints would only further rust if tears were applied.

I just finished reading the novella The Thirteenth Gift. (Why not just say short story instead of being hoity-toity with novella?) Check it out. Charlene Costanzo, the author, encourages individuals to look for the best gifts in people each day. Note the compassion you see or the imagination you discover as you go through your daily schedule. You’ll then be able to thank God for your own strength and reverence. I’m going to try each day to find one of these gifts. We’ll see how long I follow through. I’m occasionally known to have fantastic plans that don’t make it through Day 2.

My thoughts have wandered even farther than normal today, but at least I still have a thought or two left in my head. I guess God wanted me to tell you to try to look at the bright side instead of being splayed in the dark, refusing to move.  People don’t tend to look their beauty pageant best when “splayed” anywhere.

Happy New Year everyone! Find those gifts in yourselves and others.

God Uses My Chronic Pain to Prove that Life is Good:
      -  When you have hit the bottom in the pain department, the only way to look is up!

No comments:

Post a Comment